Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

jsp:useBean problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalCarne

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
I've got a very simple form that posts to a processing jsp page. The processing page amounts to

Code:
    <jsp:useBean id="Handler" class="user.getEmployeeFormData" scope="request" >
            <jsp:setProperty  name="Handler" property="*" />
        </jsp:useBean>
        <jsp:forward page="UpdateEmployeeDB" />

The Handler bean has getter and setter methods for the form values of the submitting page. However, unless I specifically hard code a property/value pair, the setProperty method is never hit.
Is there something more that I need to do on the submitting form, other than method="post" action="update.jsp" for the bean to access the form values?

Thanks in advance.

The real issue in this is that the processing jsp has no awareness of the posted data, despite the post method from the submitting page.
Frankly, I'm at a loss as far as form submission in jsp goes. A post should result in form information being written to the header. A request.getParameter, if I understand it's purpose correctly, should be able to get the parameters of a post or a get. However, in this case it is not.

I realize that I have a lot to learn about this language in general, but I've had a project shoved upon me that is requiring me to get this done by any means possible, knowledge of the language be damned. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

If nothing else, can someone suggest another method?

another possibility is

in your form, pass the data to a servlet, then invoke the bean from the servlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back