Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JSP Placement ... Web Server vs. App Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

aosbt1

Programmer
Jun 11, 2003
US
I am familiart with deploying JSP's in WLS on the WebServer itself, but I have been asked to comment on the following configuration which I am not familiar. If anyone has done this before or can offer some insite it would be helpful.

The project wants to have the JSP's be deployed on the application server, but accessed by the WebServer which is a seperate machine running Apache.

Is it recommened to have the JSP's on the WebServer making calls to the AppServer or to have the WebServer make a single call to the AppServer which will then send the whole page to the WebServer.

Let me know if this makes sense or if I need to clarify this some more.

Thanks,

Aaron

It means that you are using Apache as a proxy to your Weblogic Server which is the most ideal way to do it.
You need to download the Apache plugin for your Weblogic Servers. Make sure you have the right versions because some Apache versions are only compatible with certain versions.

After you download the plugins (.so files) you need to load these modules in your httpd.conf file on your Apache Server.
(Check out the LoadModule parameter)
After you add these modules in http.conf

then you can modify all the Proxy parameters to be redirected to your weblogic Server URL.
(ProxyReverse ,etc...)

You need to check out the Apache Documentation for more details.

Let me know if this helps...

Actually that does help. Let me ask you one final question ... thinking in terms of network activity, would it be best to have this type of setup or would it be better to have the JSP's servered by the WebServer and having it make all the calls it needs to the AppServer?

Thanks for your time.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back