Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

jpgs can't be used as desktop background 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimba2012

Technical User
Feb 7, 2005
US
This problem started a few days ago...I tried changing my desktop background, but I found that I couldn't. I tried it from My Pictures, other folders, picture editors. The only way I can put an image on my desktop is by right clicking the desktop, then trying to manually put them there, but at that point, only bmps show up on the desktop. If I try to put a jpg from the Desktop Properties screen, the small preview computer goes white and nothing happens to my own. I have also found that I can use pics from the Internet of whatever ending, but short of posting all my pictures online, is there anything I can do? Thanks!
Kim

. a .jpg can only be used if Active Desktop is enabled
. Active Desktop is disabled in Classic Desktop Mode
. There are several policy objects that can play a role here, look at the first and last object descriptions using Start, Run, gpedit.msc and navigatating to:

User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Desktop
Active Desktop

See also: thread779-961312
Also, have you tried viewing and then setting the background using internet explorer?

Other semi-related links here.

Wallpaper disappears
thread779-993816

Well, I can use the Internet Explorer view, but I was looking for a way to restore the ability to set the background by right clicking on the picture itself or the folder I have it in. I tried finding the gpedit.msc, but it's not on my computer, not even when I ran search. I also tried making the Active desktop come up. I tried getting it from My Computer's Folder Options, also by trying to right-click the desktop and selecting Active Desktop, but that's not there either. I really wonder what is going on with this thing, is it possible that I might have deleted everything that can help me? I haven't cleaned out anything and the only things I have gotten rid of have been spam, adware, and spyware.

Wow, I think I found at least part of my answer, lol. I tried that IEFix, it needed A LOT of files that I don't have in my IE folder at all. I tried updating IE for the Windows SP2, but the same files weren't found for that. So, I guess I'm going to have to reinstall IE? It runs fine though, I'm using it right now. I have no idea what's going on. But I guess this problem is running different that what I had thought.

It is likely you saw the file prompt because by default the System File Checker (SFC) is run.

At some point you should "slipstream" your XP Home CD, and the CD ROM version of Service Pack 2 so that you can do a System File Check successfully.

This freeware utility will help: thread779-900263

Actually I think that IEFix worked, because now I can get my pictures and everything. When I logged on my computer again just now, it told me I had uninstalled IE6, but it's still working and so is everything else! Thanks!

It did the bulk of what I wanted - the re-registration of some key DLLs.

Glad it sorted things for you.
Best,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back