Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

jpg.s' blurry when resizing in Frontpage - is this the norm? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina2002

Technical User
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Hi

I resized a few pictures in Frontpage (instead of first doing it in photoshop). I then hit the resample button which should iron out things, so I thought - but the pictures look a bit blurry now in comparison to being crystal clear before.

Is that the norm for Frontpage? Did I miss a step or should I really be relying on first resizing things in photoshop instead of using Frontpage to do it?

Ty
Tina

The original size (height x width) will determine how you can resize the image. If the original image is 1" x 1" at 72dpi and you want to size up to 3" x 3", that new image still contains only 72 dots (pixels). Since you can't increase the resolution, the 72 dots are stretched into the new size causing the image to pixelate.

As a rule, resizing should be done to decrease image size. This will allow the software to determine the optimum number of pixels to remove in order to retain the image quality. For example an image at 3" x 3" at 300dpi will suffer no quality loss if it is scaled down to 1" x 1" at 100dpi.

Good luck
cg Mahalo,
cg

Hi - i forgot to mention that i resized to a smaller version of the jpg.
But it turned out blurry - even tho I hit the resample button.

You shouldn't use Front Page to resize your images. Resize your images in a graphics program then import them into FP. Then place your images on your page.

So resizing from a larger to a smaller image in Frontpage can cause the distortions?

Ty
Tina

Each time you save a jpg image information is left out, so the image gets worse every time you resize (and save). Like kimmer7389 says use a graphics program to edit the image and then save it to jpg again.

Herman

I cannot understand why you would want to play with an image in FP when you have the option of using a premier imaging program like Photoshop. You can save yourself a lot of time and hassle if you plan your site and prepare all of the content before you open FP. Then it's just a matter of assembly. A bit like a kid's jigsaw puzzle really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back