Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JPG/GIFs no longer recognised after Office 7 uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonygu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2002
GB
I installed Office 7 beta 2 a few days ago then uninstalled it. Now Access 2000 does not recognise JPGs or GIFs (but Excel and Word do). I have tried a fresh install of Office 2000 to no avail. (Outlook refuses to quit cleanly now as well but that's another story).

Apart from reformatting the disk, is there anything else to try? Thanks

Anthony

If you are running Windows XP and have System Restore running, you could restore to a date prior to when you installed Office 7.

I don't have the system restore enabled.

This morning I installed Access 2002 and removed Access 2000 and still it does not recognise JPGs or GIFs but it does recognise all the other image formats in the list of Graphics Filters. I used Add/Repair programs to try to force it to use those formats and it appeared to do something (the word registration flashed up but so quickly it was not really possible to tell) and it still fails to work.

Try a Windows XP repair. Make sure you have taken all the backups correct.

Thanks to JoeAtWork and Zameer for the replies.

Before I do anything drastic, I should like to understand why you think that the Office Beta has changed Windows XP?

Anthony

Once I installed Office 2003 while it was loaded with Office2002(OfficeXP). The (Office 2003)CD contained a beta version of Fax/image viewer. After some testing of it I have removed office2003 and faced the same problem that you face now. I had to reinstall WindosXP (not office XP) to repair that.

I installed Office 7 [!]beta[/!] 2
I [!]don't[/!] have the system restore enabled
So, it should be a test PC and simply reinstall from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back