Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Journaling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hello.. I'm looking to find some software that's made more for journaling than archiving. All I need to do is copy emails, not archive, stub, pull pst's, etc. All the software programs I'm finding, like GFI are real robust and overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Anyone know of a good software product that can handle this?

I'd really like something that doesn't require a SQL back end as well.

Thanks!

If you copy emails, you're archiving. Most archiving solutions are modular, and you don't have to purchase components like .pst ingestion tools, eDiscovery, etc.

Stay away from tools that require MAPI (generally journal type solutions), as they add a substantial amount of disk IO to your Exchange server.

If you can clarify your needs, maybe I can better assist you. What do you plan to DO with the archived mail? Who needs access to it?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

You could roll your own:

Configure journaling to an email box. Install Windows Search on a workstation and configure an Outlook profile to open that mailbox. The local workstation will then maintain an index of all the mail in that mailbox, and you should be able to easily search it.

You could then configure rules that would auto-delete content you weren't interested in.

The downside is that you'll end up with a lot of mail in that box. So if you could create an archiving rule, at least you'd have it moving out into a .pst at some point, and then you could delete that .pst and start fresh every month or two, while maintaining 3-6 months in the journaling mailbox at a time.

Dave Shackelford MVP
ThirdTier.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back