Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining Values and Grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfalin

Technical User
Aug 14, 2001
US
I have a table (Call it TABLE1 - I receive it monthly and is pre-formatted) that reports mulitple instances for each person who has errored when creating a purchase order.

It is similar to this:
Code:
[B]
Mgr      CSR     PO     TtlPOs     TtlError[/B]
SMITH    CSR1    87654  50         4
SMITH    CSR1    85641  50         4
SMITH    CSR1    87954  50         4
SMITH    CSR1    87123  50         4
JONES    CSR2    87555  35         3
JONES    CSR2    87444  35         3
JONES    CSR2    87333  35         3
As you can see, the CSR has multiple entries (each PO that had an error), a Total # of POs processed, and the Total # of Errors (which always equals the # of POs displayed.

I would like to Report this as 2 rows of data, versus 7. In other words:
Code:
[b]
Mgr      CSR     PO                          TtlPOs     TtlError[/B]
SMITH    CSR1    87654, 85641, 87954, 87123  50         4
JONES    CSR2    87555, 87444, 87333         35         3

Any thoughts on how I could, at least, build a query to do this?

Everything else BUT what you want to do with the PO field is doable with just a query. To accomplish the PO Value concatenation you will actually have to implement some VB Code.

Here's a function you can paste into a new Code Module for the outlined example above:

Code:
[COLOR=blue]Public Function[/color] PO_Concatenate(CSR [COLOR=blue]As String[/color]) [COLOR=blue]As String[/color]

[COLOR=blue]Dim[/color] rst [COLOR=blue]As[/color] Recordset

[COLOR=blue]Set[/color] rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT PO FROM TABLE 1 WHERE CSR='" _
    & CSR & "' ORDER BY PO;")

[COLOR=blue]While Not[/color] rst.EOF
    PO_Concatenate = PO_Concatenate _
        & IIf(Nz(PO_Concatenate, "") > "", ", ", "") & rst!PO
    rst.MoveNext
[COLOR=blue]Wend[/color]

rst.Close

[COLOR=blue]End Function[/color]

Save the module as PO Module.

Create a new query with the following Syntax:
[tt]SELECT Mgr, CSR, PO_Concatenate([CSR]) AS PO, First([TtlPOs]) AS TtlPOs, First([TtlError]) AS TtlError
FROM TABLE1;[/tt]

See if this works for you.

There's a problem somewhere, but I'm not getting any errors or results. One thing is probably me. I thought I could use a sample of data, but I'm not good at reconfiguring. The data actually comes from 2 tables (tblTowsales and tblCSRs). So, here's what I have so far.

Code:
[b]saved as qryRPT-TowsaleSQL[/b]
SELECT [qryRPT-Towsale].ID, [qryRPT-Towsale].CSR, PO_Concatenate([CSR]) AS PO, First([TowSales]) AS TtlPOs, First([POs]) AS TtlError, [qryRPT-Towsale].DispDate, [qryRPT-Towsale].DispTime, [qryRPT-Towsale].Month, [qryRPT-Towsale].Year
FROM [qryRPT-Towsale];

Code:
[b]qryRPT-Towsale to Join tblTowsales and tblCSRs[/b]
SELECT tblCSRs.Site, tblCSRs.UM, tblTowSales.CSR, tblCSRs.CSR AS CSRName, tblTowSales.[PO#], tblTowSales.TowSales, tblTowSales.POs, tblTowSales.DispDate, tblTowSales.DispTime, [towsales]/[POs] AS [TS%], tblTowSales.Month, tblTowSales.Year, tblTowSales.ID
FROM tblCSRs, tblTowSales
WHERE (((tblTowSales.CSR) Like [a_id1] Or (tblTowSales.CSR) Like [a_id2] Or (tblTowSales.CSR) Like [a_id3]))
ORDER BY tblCSRs.Site, tblCSRs.UM, tblCSRs.CSR;

Code:
[b]PO Module[/b]
Public Function PO_Concatenate(CSR As String) As String

Dim rst As Recordset

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT PO# FROM qryRPT-Towsale WHERE CSR='" _
    & CSR & "' ORDER BY PO#;")

While Not rst.EOF
    PO_Concatenate = PO_Concatenate _
        & IIf(Nz(PO_Concatenate, "") > "", ", ", "") & rst!PO#
    rst.MoveNext
Wend

rst.Close

End Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor