Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

joining two tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

santosh1

Programmer
Apr 26, 2002
US
Hello -

I want to get necessary info from two tables and put it into a separate table. Please let me know how I can do this.

I have 2 tables, Temp and Geography. Table Temp has field countryID. Geography Table has fields countryID, CurrencyCode and
CurrencyDescription. What I want to do is, for all the countries that are in the Temp table, I want to get respective CurrencyCode and CurrencyDescription by looking at the Geography Table. Then, put this onto a separate new table Temp_Currency which will have CountryID, CurrencyCode and CurrencyDescription.

For example,
if countryID is 001 in the Temp table, I want to look at countryID 001 in Geography table, and find the currency Code (USD) and description (US Dollar). The temp_Currency table should have countryID 001, CurrencyCode USD and CurrencyDescription US Dollar.

I will appreciate your help very much.

Santosh

Hi santosh1,

What you want to do is set up a make table query that writes all of the data from the Geography table where the countryID is equal to the countryID in the Temp table. Here is a piece of SQL you can use to set up the make table query:
[red]
Code:
SELECT Geography.countryID, Geography.CurrencyCode, Geography.CurrencyDescription INTO Temp_Currency
FROM Geography INNER JOIN Temp ON Geography.countryID = Temp.countryID;
[/red]
You can paste this into the SQL view of a new query and flip it over to design view and save it. Whala, there is your make table query. It will make a table called Temp_Currency.

Let me know if you need further help with this. --------------------------------
Fortius, Citius, nullis secundus
Strength, Speed, second to none

Hello,

Thankyou very much for your help.

I just realized that the currency description is not in the
Geography table but in another table called Currency which has currencyCode and currencyDescription fields.
So, that means, I have to look at the Geography table for the currencyCode for that particular countryID and for that particular currencyCode, I need to refer to Currency table to find out the currency description.

Would you please let me know how I can do this?

Santosh

santosh1,

From what I understand these are the fields you have for your three tables:

-Temp has countryID
-Geography has countryID, currencyCode
-Currency has currencyCode, currencyDescription

If this right? If it is then your query would look like this:
[red]
Code:
SELECT Temp.countryID, Geography.currencyCode, Currency.currencyDescription INTO temp_Currency
FROM ([Currency] INNER JOIN Geography ON Currency.currencyCode = Geography.currencyCode) INNER JOIN Temp ON Geography.countryID = Temp.countryID;
[/red]
This makes a table (temp_Currency) that has the following columns:
countryID --> from the Temp table
currencyCode --> from the Geography table
currencyDescription --> from the Currency table

Let me know if this works for you. --------------------------------
Fortius, Citius, nullis secundus
Strength, Speed, second to none

Yes, it works! Thanks for your help very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back