Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining Two Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

dph

Technical User
Oct 22, 2003
US
I am relatively new to being an IT person. Our CEO and VP visit frequently from Canada and are already joined to a Domain up there. When they come to our office, is there anyway to connect them to our Domain so that they can share our printers and see files on our server? I've been told that if I connect them to our Domain, I will wipe out their normal Domain.

I do not know what server OS they are using in Canada, but we are using Server 2003 and I have all of our computers automatically obtaining IP addresses through DHCP. Both of their laptops have Windows XP Pro.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Dennis

the IP address is independant of the domain, thay can be members of your LAN if their laptops are setup for dhcp.

for them to access your printers, you have 2 options:
1-Enable permissions for the 'everyone' group to print
2-Setup trusts betwenn your 2 domains

for file access, same thing (option 1 not recommended !!)

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Just give them a username on your domain and let them use it to connect to the printserver.

They should be able to print. Same thing for file-sharing and exchange. Just authenticate to the server by hand. (for filesharing use: net use [driveletter]:\ \\servername\share password /domain\user).

When you join their laptops to your domain they can no longer logon to the domain in Canada, not a good idea!

I hope this helps and solves your problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back