Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining Mac X to windows 2000 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianf

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2001
ZA
Howsit,

I am useless with MAC and I need to join it to our windows 2000 domain. It is currently running of a workgroup and accessing the exchange server, but it is not running smoothly. Keeps prompting for passwords and I cannot get it to work off network printers...etc..

Any advice would be appreciated,

Julian

It's easy enough to join your machine to the domain but unless you re-create your user account on the Mac to match your windows account name you will still have problems with connectivity.

To add your Mac to the domain, your admin will need to be present. Start the program "Directory Access" enable Active Directory and click "Configure". Your admin should know how to fill out the config page.

For printers, you have to embed the user id and password right in the URI for accessing the printer. For example, to access the printer in my office, the connect uri is

smb://mheinz:password@lexica/HP-Color-01

Where "password" is my windows password and mheinz is my windows user id.

Have a problem, the MAC I have been given to try to authenticate to a Windows Domain does not have Active Directory listed under the Directory Access..

I have

Appletalk
BSD Configuration Files
LDAPv2
LDAPv3
NetInfo
NIS
Rendezvous
SLP
SMP

How do you add another service (Active Directory)?

That's odd. On my box Active Directory appears before AppleTalk.

It sounds like either an old (pre 10.3) version of OS X or maybe a damaged install. You might want to re-install the OS on it.

It is OS 10.2.8 The more I am reading the less it seems that this is possible without dishing out extra money for an OS upgrade.

Would Active Directory be there when the server is running in a 'Workgroup' and not a 'Domain'.

You need 'Microsoft Entoruage' for the mac to connect to the Server.

You shouldn't have problems with connecting on 10.2.8.

If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back