Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining Citrix PS4.0 Server to a Win2k3 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyshriver

Technical User
Dec 25, 2004
US
Greetings,
I have an active thread ( ) regarding difficulty having newly configured clients connect to our Citrix server. The TS Licensing Service seems to be at issue. I have already consulted the closed thread at - while this was informative, it still left me with some questions.

To provide background, I came into a scenario in which there is a workgroup LAN authenticating to a Netware server housing data and files, as well as a few proprietary client-server apps. To facilitate remote sites' ability to access these resources, a Dell PE2600 running Win2kAdvSvr was installed, and Citrix MetaFrame 1.8 was installed on this server. Gateway Services for Netware was installed to provide access to the resources on the NW server. The Citrix box has since been upgraded to PS4.0 on top of Win2kSP4. A new Dell PE2900 was recently installed on the network. It is a win2k3R2SP2 running AD (it is a domain controller, obviously), and I am in the process of joining workstations to the domain and creating new user accounts in the domain.

I recently decided to join the Citrix server to the domain, and what started happening shortly thereafter was that new computers (some running Vista, some running XP) that had just been configured with Citrix clients have all been unable to connect to the server. All workstations (LAN and remote) that had connected to the Citrix server prior to this action are unaffected. The message that displays as the client attempts to connect is "Closing this window will end your Citrix session. Do you really wish to terminate your session?" Clicking OK or Cancel will both cause an error message indicating that communication with the TS License Server cannot be established (Please see the thread at this link: ).

My surmise is that joining the Citrix server to the domain disabled the TS License Service on the Citrix box, as the Terminal Services License Service, while configured for automatic startup, is not running and cannot be started. I have also read that a Windows server running Citrix PS4.0 cannot be a domain controller. Given all of this, I am wondering whether I should establish the W2k3 server as the license server. I am also curious to know if it is possible to migrate my Win2K TS licenses to the Win2k3 server. I would be most grateful for any assistance anyone can render.

Many thanks,
Andy

Have you tried (backing up first ) and then deleting the "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing" key on the client machines that are connecting?

Also you can set the terminal server license server can be designated as the local or enterprise wide server from memory ?!? (maybe its something there?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back