Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining another server to an existing tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkelly

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
I first want to thank everyone for putting up with my numerous questions. You are great and I applaud you!

Now that the new server is built, I plan to fly out and install it. While on-site, I will build the second (redundant server -- non-SFT III). A couple of questions:

[ul]
[li]What is the best way to join the two? The installer prompts me to do so, but I've learned that the installer is not the best way to do everything.[/li]
[li]What is the best way to replicate the NDS info (users, rights, etc)?[/li]
[li]Expanding on the previous question, is it also possible to replicate groups, server login script and account login scripts, etc?[/li]

[/ul]

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

When prompted, you should join this server to your existing NDS. As part of this process, a Read/Write replica of your NDS [Root] partition (and I guess any others you have created) will automatically be created on the new server. So to answer your questions:

1. There is no value in doing this outside the installer, so you might as well join the server to your NDS when prompted to do so

2. As you only have one existing server, a Read/Write partition will automatically be created on your new server

3. This is done as part of the automatic creation of the Read/Write partition

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

on a note from above and to save you wandering.
the root partition will be auto created on this server as it is the second server. it will do this for the first three servers in the tree (i think it';s 3 anyway).

joining during build - again - installer does it fine.(never had a problem with this)
this is a swings and round about thing as well. some people may acrgue that it is better to build server in temp tree , service pack to same level as existing server, remove ds and then join to server or just slap it in and service pack.
this theory goes to &&*( though if you use a overlayed cd).

certainly with 5 and 6 - the installer is better or sometimes it is a pain to get imanage and a few others to work

I'm flying out to our remote office Tuesday to begin the server upgrade. The first one is built, but the second is not. Based on the feedback here, I'll build it while on site and join NDS during installation.

It just occurred to me that the second server may get a bit messy. Both servers have PRO1000 NICs in them and SP9 has to be installed before the driver will execute. I got around it with the first server by doing a custom installation and ignoring the error messages (no NIC installed). I then SP'd the server and installed the NIC. Works great.

Enter the second server....how do I join NDS during installation if I have to install SP9 prior to launching the NIC driver. I hope it's not what Terry712 said. If so, I will need some guidance. I'm not a Novell guru and this forum has immensely educated me. Still, I'm certain I will be thoroughly confused if I have to use a temp tree, SP, remove DS......

Can someone shed some light on the best way to approach my dilemma? Maybe using an old 3COM NIC that doesn't require SP9 and swap the NIC later? I'm open to any idea.

Thanks in advance!

You can always build the server like Terry712 suggests by using a temporary NDS (just select New Tree when you are prompted), SP the server and get the NIC working, then use INSTALL to remove the temporary NDS and install the server into your main NDS. It should be quite easy to do it this way and as suggested is considered the preferred way to build NetWare servers by some.

I'm at the "is this your first Netware server?" screen with two choices: "yes, this is my first Netware server" or "no, connect to existing Netware 4 network."

I tried the latter, giving it a temp tree and IPX number. Because the NIC is not in the server yet, the Netware installer won't let me proceed (can't find temp tree). So, I'm going to proceed as if this is my first server. Hopefully, I can join the tree later.

Disregard. I think I get it...the first server option also lets me specify a temp tree.

When I join the tree created on server 1, will my second server inherit the tree and context from server 1 (tree and context being the same on server 1 and server 2)?

Sorry for the simplicity of my questions.

When you join the new server to your existing tree, you will be asked in what context you want the new server to be added to. If you want the new server to be added to the same context as your existing server, you just have to select the context.

As mentioned above, the new server will probably inherit partition information from the existing server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back