Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining an to NT Server domain from XP Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtreese

MIS
Jan 5, 2004
US
Hi Folks,

I have been unsuccessful in joining an NT 4.0 domain from an XP client. After typing the user name and password (which I have verified exists on the nt server) I get an 'Access is denied.' error message. Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Reese

delete the pc from server manager
then from client rejoin the domain and tell it to create workstation account

xp just seems a bit flakey at this

if that fails where you type the username
put in the servername\username

I found the easiest way is to shut down the computer browser on the XP workstation and run thru the network identification wizard in System . It will ask you for your domain information twice, just keep typing in the information.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

the way I join NT/2000/XP onto NT domain is:

in the network identification, choose to join the workgroup, this will ensure you are not still on some domain that you didnt join sucessfully

when it say you are successfully joined the workgroup and welcome you, click on but don't reboot

change the workgoup to the domain you want to join, then it should ask for your admin username and password info

if you are about to join the NT domain, it should take about 20-30 sec, then it will finally welcome you to the new domain, if you get reply too quick that means the XP was not even trying to talk to the NT domain, you then need to check your network setting and the hardware/cable

on the NT server then you would run the server manager, click on a BDC (NT backup domain controller) click on the first menu and select "synch with primary domain controller"

then you would reboot the xp, now on the NT server manager should see the new xp computer name being added

hope this help
jcck2004

It might help to add an entry for the domain controller into you LMHOSTS files.

This is located in (windows folder)\system32\drivers\etc

the entry should look like this...

<ip address of PDC> tab <pdc name> tab #PRE tab #DOM:<Domain Name>

example

192.168.0.1 MYPDC01 #PRE #DOM:MYDOMAIN

run the command &quot;nbtstat -R&quot; after changing the LMHOSTS file.

This will tell the XP machine exactly where to look for the PDC for your Domain.

Regards
Mike

You need the latest service pack (6a) for NT 4.0 in order for the XP worstation to authenticate.

Might seem silly but is this a Sony Vaio with Norton Security on it? If so delete this as it can stop you joining the domain.

Just a thought,

Iain

I have found that I sometimes need to enter the fully qualified domain name in the user identification box after clicking to join the PC to the domain.

Ex: Domain name = MyDomain User name = Administrator

MyDomain\Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back