Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining an organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonburi

Programmer
Aug 5, 2002
US
We are putting together a new Windows 2003 domain for our program. We have two physical locations with 4 DCs, two per location. Each location has a site name associated with it and site replication is via the default IP site link on a 180 minute interval. One DC in each location is supposed to be an exchange server. I have installed Exchange 2003 on one of the servers following the list of steps in the exchange deployment tools and everything seems to be working fine. If I move to the second server and try to follow the same procedure (minus forest prep and domain prep) I get to a point where I'm not sure what to do. One step of the exchange installation wizard is to choose if you want to "Create a New Exchange Organization" or "Join or upgrade an existing Exchange 5.5 Organization." On the first server I chose "Create a New Exchange Organization", but neither of these options sounds right to me for the second server. I picked one and tried it on the second machine and ended up having to restore the servers from backups to fix the schema problems that resulted.

What I was expecting was for the second server to see the organization in the domain created by the first server and be forced to join it. If I select "Create a New Exchange Organization" on the second server the default on the next screen is "First Organization" (not the name of the organization I created on the first server.)

Does anyone know if the second server is supposed to automatically join the organization or if I should try typing my organization name there again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back