Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining Aloha terminals to domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

encinitas

Technical User
Sep 6, 2005
US
Hello

I have two restaurant sites right now, soon to be 6. For ease of administration and as part of our plan to satisfy the PCI compliancy, we would like to join the terminals to the domain (child domain of corp domain). I'm wondering if anyone has done this yet. I have been given the green light from our support vendor, though they have actually never supported Aloha in this environment. I'm thinking we can edit the registry with the login credentials so the terminals can authenticate to the Aloha server on bootup. Am I missing anything here??

thanks in advance

This can be done. How, I dunno. I have this going at an automotive plant with 5 different cafeterias. Their IT staff made it go due to their high security we were not overly involved. Each location has its own server and menus, but report to a central server running remote Aloha Manager that they use for doing menu changes. To prevent network conflicts each server has a different name and each location is on a different Termstr. What I am saying is if you sart putting multiple Aloha networks together, they will all have to have unique network identification. Two Alohaboh servers on the same network will cause the system to throw-up.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

thanks dtsman

my aloha networks are separated by subnets. Each Alohaboh server has dual NIC's- one for the Aloha/Terminal network, one for the corp network. This separates that really "chatty" netBIOS traffic from corp. network traffic.

I'm interested in the remote Aloha Manager. I've wondered if there was a way to run the app from corp., then attach to the specific server that they want to make changes on. Right now they RDP in to make changes. I was told there was not a way to do that.

You make changes on the remote manager server and then copy the files to the newdata at the stores and have them refresh. Obviously you can not copy the whole folder as the employee files and others will be different from store to store. You could use one location as the main store for editing, and then using Pcanywhere or something that will let you transfer files at the touch of button works good. Or you could have your dealer load the demo version on a central server. The demo version will have some limitations but will be ok for updating data. Of course there is the Enterprise solution that is most flexible, but an added charge.

Bo

Remember,
(Red Green)

OK so basically the remote Aloha Manager (at corp.) makes changes to a non-live database, then you copy the changed files to the store Alohaboh server, and refresh the database to reflect recent changes. Is that correct?
I'm wondering if there's a way to have that corp. Aloha Manager make changes to a live database. I will have point-to-point T1 connections, so speed is not an issue.

Yes that is correct.
I believe the Enterprise edition will make changes live but do not quote me on that.

Bo

Remember,
(Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back