Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

joining a domain over Sonicwall VPN (router to router) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryoun1b

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has ever had success in joining a Win 2K workstation to a Win 2K domain over a Sonicwall VPN tunnel?

I have found a Q article on Microsoft's web site, Q179442, but even after configuring all ports on both routers (both server side and workstation side), I am still not able to join a workstation to a Win 2K domain.

Sonicwall support does not seem to lend much help either.

Any help is appreciated.

[pipe]

Are you using two sonicwall appliances? If you are and using static ip you will need to set up routing on the win2k server for it to work. If you are using the sonicwall client on the remote there should be no problem. I'm doing both I have two sonicwall to sonicwall VPN connections with two different sites and I use the Sonicwall to Sonicwall Client on my laptop. I have used both dialup and high speed connections.

do you have sonicwall device both side if you are going to setup vpn office to office
I have 2 sonicwall at 2 offices (soho3)i setup office 2 office one host and another client and i also created one more vpn group for another client who work from home and they connect the server by dial up i mean in the sonicwall at host site you have to create 2 group one for office and one for client (they much be install vpn client software)and i also can connect pcanywhere to any PC under my network with dyamic ip too

Sorry for barging in on the thread, but we are attempting the same scenario. We have tried running networked applications across the VPN with little to no luck. Partly we believe because we are not authenticating to the domain. Has anyone had any luck with this - and what kind of speeds should I be able to see from it? So far it has been dreadfully slow - and impossible to install a network app. Does this seem like something that should resolve itself if authenticated to the domain?

We resolved all of our issues with this using DSL on both sides, setting up the subnet IP addresses in the ADSS (Active Directory Sites and Services) and using the fully qualified domain name when joining to the domain on the remote end. When joining the domain if your domain name is mydomain.com use the administrator account and password and mydomain.com as the domain name instead of the netbios short domain name. For example if your domain name is computer.com and your netbios domain name is comp, use the long domain name as computer.com. This will use the Active directory domain for joining the domain.

Make sure that you are running WINS, and have properly configured your Active Directory enabled DNS with all of your DC's and member servers that deliver all of the application resources. WINS operates over netbios and there are still many applications that utilize netbios to resolve IP/server names.

Also on the sonicwall make sure that you enable Netbios pass through on the access, Services screen of your sonicwall on both sides (sonicwall router to sonicwall router config).

As for the VPN client to Sonicwall router config, check that you are allowing netbios(not sure if this is a separate check box or not), and make sure your certificate or shared secret are matching on the sending and receiving end in order to establish a VPN tunnel.

Regards,
Richard
[pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back