Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining 2 CAT5e cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanin247

Programmer
Apr 23, 2001
US
To Whom It May Concern:

I needed a longer line, so I am trying to join two CAT5e cables together. I bought an in-line coupler and connected the cables, but I received no feed from the cable (the cable is running from a router to a computer...neither end showed a connection). I was told that CAT5e cables must be joined directly, meaning the wires must match-up with each other. I noticed (just by placing the ends side-by-side) that they are mirror images of each other (cable 1 orange is on left, cable 2 orange is on right). And so, I do not see how a coupler will work in joining these cables, since it connects the wires as is, mirrored. So, my question to you is, how am I suppose to join my CAT5e cables without having to purchase a longer cable? I would appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

kanin

Verify, that you are using a 8 pin coupler. Also check that both of your patch cables are the same type wirring sceme (568A or 568B).Good Luck!!

The patch cables are the exact same cable...I purchased two 50-foot CAT5e cables, same make, model, everything. And yes, the coupler is an 8-pin In-line coupler. I appreciate your help, though. If you have any other suggestion, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

kanin

Ok i deal with similar issues all the time. What u need to do is crimp one of the cable ends upside down... The coupler is a straight through type. So if u look at the cables end to end you will see that you are actually connecting (assuming this is a 568b cable)
orange/white --> brown
orange --> brown/white
etc..... if u flip the connector then the wires will match up correctly and your problem will be fixed. Please lemme know if you need clarification, Hope this helps!

Yes, that's how I envisioned it. I just wasn't sure if that was possible or if they made a coupler that had one end flipped.

So, how exactly am I suppose to crimp one upside down? Hmmm, do I just need to cut the connector off the cable, move the wires around to match, and then crimp them to a new connector?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

kanin

Nettechman is correct.You could just cut off one end and put a RJ45 jack on cable if you do not have ends and crimper. Radio shack also sells couplers that are reversed, but hard to find. It is like if you take two phone basecords (reversed cable) and connect them with a coupler; you end up with a straight thru cable. Good Luck!!

I would suggest purchasing a Cat5 coupler from a good supplier. Do you have any idea what goes on inside those cheap couplers? The ones I have opened have single wires (not pairs) joining the two sides together. Now this may not be a problem for some situations, but why waste your money on quality Cat5e cables then put a non-Cat5e coupler in the middle? It is important to keep the twist in the pairs, it keeps the signals from interfering with each other on the cable.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Daron is right. There are phone couplers and data couplers. They are not interchangeable. Go to a good networking supplier and get a data coupler.
Jeff
No matter how bad it is, it can always get worse ....

Thanks for ALL your help. I found a RJ-45 CATe coupler at BestBuy and everything is working fine now. Once again, thanks to everyone!

kanin

When I run into this situation I get me a 2 position mini com box, wire two CAT 5 jacks and put them in the box. Works every time. If I need a crossover, I wire the jacks in the crossover configuration.

Quick and easy to trouble shoot. However, if you reverse the cable ends, it needs to be marked for the next person who comes after you (or if you should forget). If you need the cable to be straight later on (for testing or permanent use), you have to redo the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back