Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join with multiple matches, select first match

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveatEden

Programmer
Jul 25, 2000
US
Here's my problem.<br>I've got 2 tables with a lot of the same fields.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am using a SQL query to compare those shared fields and join the matching records into a results table.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>What I've had happening is that there is only 1 record in Table A, but 3 records in Table B whose shared fields match the fields in Table A's 1 record, but have slight differences in other fields which can't be used for comparison.&nbsp;&nbsp;Therefor, the 1 record in Table A is being combined with each of the records in Table B and results in a 3 record Table C (results table).&nbsp;&nbsp;Basically a Cartesian product. <br><br>What I want to happen is for only the first record in Table B that matches the record in Table A to be joined and copied to Table C, but I can't seem to find a command that would do that.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Does anyone have any ideas? <br><br>Thanks,<br>Eve

I have found two different ways, depending on the flavor of SQL you are using.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If you are using Oracle, you can use the rownum value to limit the number of rows returned:<br><b><br>select a.test, b.test<br>from a, b<br>where a.test = b.test and <br>rownum &lt; 2<br></b><br>If you are using MS Access, there is a MaxRecords property that can be used in your VB code that uses the query. <br><br>I am sure there are other ways, just the first two I found. <p>Terry M. Hoey<br><a href=mailto:th3856@txmail.sbc.com>th3856@txmail.sbc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I am using MS Access.&nbsp;&nbsp;Would that limit the records in the table to 1 or only limit the matches to 1?&nbsp;&nbsp;the numbers I used were examples.&nbsp;&nbsp;The real tables contain much more data than just 1 row in one table and 3 in the other.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Thanks,<br>Eve

According to MS Access help (My comments follow):<br><br>You can use the MaxRecords property to determine or specify the maximum number of records that will be returned by a query that returns data from an ODBC database.<br><br>Setting<br><br>The MaxRecords property setting is a Long Integer value representing the number of records that will be returned.<br>You can set this property by using the query's property sheet or Visual Basic.<br><br>When you set this property in Visual Basic you use the DAO MaxRecords property.<br><br>Remarks<br><br>Records are returned in the order specified by the query's ORDER BY clause.<br>You can use the MaxRecords property in situations where limited system resources might prohibit a large number of returned records.<br><br>My Comments:<br><br>From what I can tell, it would only effect the number of rows returned, not the number of rows in the table.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If you pull up MS Access and search for help on MaxRecords, you might be able to find more info.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If not, I have a book that I could look up more when I come in tomorrow.<br><br>Good Luck...<br><br> <p>Terry M. Hoey<br><a href=mailto:th3856@txmail.sbc.com>th3856@txmail.sbc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back