Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join to AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimR

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2007
ZA
How do I join a linux machine to AD network?

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

I believe you can set it up as a simple LDAP client (AD can act as an LDAP server I think, possibly with some extra configuration), or there are commercial products such as Vintela or Centrify to do it. Or you can use SAMBA. I think it depends very much what exactly you want to use it for... can you elaborate?

Annihilannic.

I just want to join it to the network, to be able to browse other workstations get mail etc, much like you would join a Windows box.

Then SAMBA is probably the best choice for you. You'll probably find it's installed already, and there will be plenty of documentation/HOWTOs out there to help you along.

Annihilannic.

Centrify is a good choice for this;

Or Likewise can do it;

Paul
VCP4

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

Struggled with Fedora first rpm where broken fixed that then Yum would not work properly, then other errors etc etc, gave up and loaded Ubuntu.

Ran export http_proxy="to get through our proxy.

Done a bunch of apt-get's. Installed likewise-open5 and joined in 10 sec.

much easier.

I just did this a few days ago myself and Likewise was really easy, I did have to manually edit the nsswitch file but after that it was cake (had to change one line to "file dns").

I then added my domain account (actually a group) to the sudoers file (I'm using Ubuntu = "sudo visudo"): %DOMAIN\\LinuxAdmins ALL=(ALL) ALL - because it doesn't pull domain account security from the domain and I really couldn't do anything that required elevated privledges.

One thing that I've noticed is that a linux client won't update the Windows DNS entries on the DNS server. Windows clients automatically update dns. I added a static Host A record to dns which isn't ideal but oh well, not that big of a deal.

Glad you got it working!

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back