Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JOIN question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinforbes

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
CA
Hi All,

Quick question, probably an easy answer but my brain thinks it today is Monday...

Here is my query:

SELECT blah
FROM tbl1
INNER JOIN tbl2 ON
tbl1.id = tbl2.id
WHERE tbl1.id = 'blah' AND tbl2.other_id = 'other_blah'

Works fine except when tbl2.other_id doesn't match the criteria.

I always want to return a record, wether or not tbl2 is matched.

Thanks,
Kev

Use an OUTER JOIN.

SELECT blah
FROM tbl1
LEFT JOIN tbl2
ON tbl1.id = tbl2.id
WHERE tbl1.id = 'blah'
AND (tbl2.other_id = 'other_blah' OR tbl2.other_id Is Null)
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Thanks Terry,

This works except that I don't want to return tbl2.other_id if it does not = 1 (tbl1.other_id can only be 1 or 0), however, I still want to return the record from tbl1 every time.

Also, I only want to return 1 record every time, I know MySQL uses a "Limit" clause, anything like that in SQL Server?

thanks,
Kev

Sorry for the confusion..paragraph 1 should read like this:

(tbl2.other_id can only be 1 or 0)

k

Use TOP to limit the number of rows returned.

What do you mean by "I don't want to return tbl2.other_id if it does not = 1?" Do you want to return a null value or not see the column in the result set?

SELECT top 1 blah
FROM tbl1
LEFT JOIN tbl2
ON tbl1.id = tbl2.id
WHERE tbl1.id = 'blah'
AND (tbl2.other_id = 'other_blah' OR tbl2.id Is Null)

It would be helpful if you posted real names for columns and tables because "blah" doesn't really help us to see what you want as a result - 1 column, multiple columns, from which tables, etc. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

How about this...

SELECT top 1 ships.*, images.id, images.isPrimary, images.description
FROM ships

ONLY DO A JOIN IF images.isPrimary = 1

LEFT JOIN images
ON ships.ref_id = images.ref_id
WHERE ships.ref_id = '003'
AND (images.isPrimary = 1 OR images.isPrimary Is Null)

Does that logic make sense? Basically I only want to join the images table if there is a 1 in the images.isPrimary column.

tx,
Kev

You have to perform the join in order to get the matching record from the images table in order to test if isPrimary = 1. If you use the LEFT JOIN, you'll only join to an images row where IsPrimary = 1. Otherwise, the query will return NULL in the columns from the images table. I have one recommended change to your query. Test if the JOIN column (ref_id) is NULL rather than the isPrimary column.

SELECT top 1 ships.*, images.id, images.isPrimary, images.description
FROM ships
LEFT JOIN images
ON ships.ref_id = images.ref_id
WHERE ships.ref_id = '003'
AND (images.isPrimary = 1 OR images.ref_id Is Null)

You can also write the query as follows. Sometimes this form is easier to understand.

SELECT top 1 s.*, i.id, i.isPrimary, i.description
FROM ships s
LEFT JOIN
(Select ref_id, id, isPrimary, description
From images Where images.isPrimary = 1) i
ON s.ref_id = i.ref_id
WHERE s.ref_id = '003' Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back