Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join odbc sql recordset with text file recordset

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariano42

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2012
US
Hello-
I have a vbscript that queries a pervasive sql database and pulls out purchase order data and exports to a text file. That part is working great.

I have a second script that simply pulls one field from a flat text file that lists all of the different jobs that are active on a third party system (completely seperate db).

I need to be able to only pull purchase order data if the job record of the po equals an entry on the flat file. I have no clue how to combine the two recordset in one query, but I imagine it is possible.

Here is the code to pull the PO:
Set objCN = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
dim filesys, filetxt, getname, path
Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
path = "c:\somefile.txt"

if filesys.FileExists(path) Then
Set filetxt = filesys.OpenTextFile(path,8)
Else Set filetxt = filesys.CreateTextFile(path, True)
end if

strConnection = "DSN=Timberline Data Source;Driver=Timberline Data;DBQ=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sage\TIMBERLINE OFFICE\Data\Construction Sample Data;CODEPAGE=1252"
objCN.Open strConnection

Dim strSQLQuery
strSQLQuery = "SELECT Job, Extra, Vendor, Commitment, Description, Date, Retainage_Percent, Amount FROM JCM_MASTER__COMMITMENT "

Dim objRS
Set objRS=CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Set objRS = objCN.Execute(strSQLQuery)

Do Until objRS.EOF

filetxt.writeline("C" & "," & objRS.Fields("Job") & "," & objrs.fields("Extra") & "," & objrs.fields("Vendor") & "," & objrs.fields("Commitment") & "," & Chr(34) & objrs.fields("Description") & Chr(34) & "," & month(objrs.fields("Date"))&"-"& day(objrs.fields("Date")) & "-" &year(objrs.fields("Date")) & "," & objrs.fields("Retainage_percent")& "," & objrs.fields("Amount"))

objRS.MoveNext

Loop
objRS.Close

and here is the code for pulling from the text file:

Const adOpenStatic = 3
Const adLockOptimistic = 3
Const adCmdText = &H0001

Set objtxtconn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set objtxtRecordSet = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

strPathtoTextFile = "C:\"

objtxtconn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=" & strPathtoTextFile & ";" & _
"Extended Properties=""text;HDR=YES;FMT=Delimited"""

strFile = "book1.txt"

objtxtRecordset.Open "Select * FROM " & strFile ,objtxtConn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText

Do Until objtxtRecordset.EOF
Wscript.Echo objtxtRecordset.Fields.Item("Project")

objtxtRecordset.MoveNext
Loop

any ideas?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back