Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join Linux Workstation to NT/Win2k Domain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalRolly

Technical User
Aug 26, 2001
AU
Hi all,
I am in the process of rolling out some linux workstations onto a Win2k domain...
I can successfuly map drives, access exchange2000 email (through IMAP), surf the net, open and edit word/excel documents... Figuring out how to print is also something I need to work out...

What has me stumped is that I have to create an account for a user on each workstation... I guess this wouldn't be to bad if 5 or 6 workstations, unfortunately the customer wishes to have all his workstations (250) running linux, as the licencing from Micro$oft is a bit to expensive for his liking...

All documents that I have found relate to a Samba server on a NT/win2k domain... That I had working in half a day, but nothing new about the question I have

Can I have drive mapings automated as well?

Or should I just ask has anyone fully and successfully done what I'm trying to do? I'm using RedHat8...

Many thanks to all!! :)

I wish more people were doing what this customer is:) Most people don't have the balls to completely drop M$ and go with Linux on the desktops.

One thing you might want to look at is setting up NIS on a Linux server which will give you central account management. NIS's security is a little weak (sends passwords in clear text), but if you don't mind, it should work well. M$ makes a product called Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.0. This will allow you to sync passwords between NIS and Active Directory.

ChrisP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back