Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JOIN : ambiguous field names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBlatt

Programmer
Mar 20, 2002
FR
I'm moving from access to SQL2000 using VB6 and ADODC.

With access, when joined tables had fields with identical names, the resulting column names were prefixed with the original table name. Now this doesnt happen with SQL2000. Its annoying to specify all fields in queries as I try to make generic queries that I can use on different tables.

So is there an option in SQL server to do that ?
thx alot

Try aliasing the table:

Select a.field1, a.field2, etc
From tblTableName a

This way you only need to change the field name and everything update.

You still need to alias column names if you select columns with the same name from each table. Writing "generic" queries may speed up development but it is poor practice if you want to have good query performance. Select only columns you require and alias those with duplicate names. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

I figured a compromise : I started storing queries on the server, as views, so the VB code part stays generic. And I can select only useful fields in the views, and alias them.
Thx for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back