Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fel10

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2006
US
I have a question about job structure. First off I have five backup servers(dell 2650 and 2850's)and the following tape libraries

All run w2k3 sp1 and arcserve 11.5 SP2

Tape Servers
PE 2850 and pv 136t -3 LTO2's
PE 2850 and pv 136t -3 LTO2's
PE 2650 and pv 136t -2 LTO's
PE 2850 and pv 132t -2 LTO's

Disk staging server
PE 2850 with pv 220 4TB of disk storage

Most of the libraries are broken up in 2 or 3 jobs each with approx 10-25 servers in it. The jobs are GFS in a 5 day rotation with the media in a 5 week offsite rotation. Each job has it's own media pool. Jobs have exploded in size in the last six months. So the once adeqaute media pool of 15 slots is not any longer. Media is running short. The disk staging server is not utilizing its space and I feel is setup as a single point of failure. I am looking to restructure the jobs. Possibly one solution I am looking at is create one media pool for an entire library. Remove all old jobs and pools. Add each server as its own job or create one job out of the three old jobs. I would use media maximization with GFS rotation. My reason for this is to simplify media managment and maximize media storage. In addition I would have more flexibility with scheduling servers for backups if I used the 1job=1 server approach. I would also take disk from the staging server and put it into the tape servers, giving each server 1TB for local disk to tape backups. It doesn't make much sense to have all the disk storage in one location and not connected to any tape system. If anyone has any insight to these issues it would be greatly apperciated. The overhead to manage this backup system is getting annoying. Thanks.

I think what you are looking for is a storage consultant to analyse your system. This question has way too many variables to give any sort of useful response. Probably a day or so's work to analyse and a couple of days to optimise and correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back