Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Pre/Post application launch not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomRValdez

Programmer
May 31, 2000
US
I'm running ARCServe V6.61 build 834 on NT 4.0 with service pack 6.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a batch process that runs continually and I want to put it sleep during backups.&nbsp;&nbsp;I turned the app into an ActiveX exe and created a 2nd control program which establishes a COM interface to the batch program.&nbsp;&nbsp;The control program can invoke 2 COM methods on the batch program, one to put it to sleep and the other to wake it up again.&nbsp;&nbsp;Both pgms are written in VB6 with SP3.<br><br>My intention is to have ARCServe invoke the control program, as setup on the Pre/Post tab of the options window for the job, using the &quot;Run command before job&quot; and &quot;Run command after job&quot; facilities, but I get a COM error from the control program when invoked from ARCServe:<br><br>&quot;Automation error <br>The object universal unique identifier (UUID) was not found.&quot;<br><br>Everything runs fine when the control pgm is launched manually.&nbsp;&nbsp;I run the pgm, it establishes a connection to the batch pgm during program load (form_load in VB), I click a command button to invoke the &quot;go-to-sleep&quot; batch pgm method and the batch pgm goes to sleep.&nbsp;&nbsp;I click a 2nd command button to invoke the &quot;wake-up&quot; batch pgm method and the batch pgm wakes up.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>But when launched from ARCServe, the control pgm gets the above error when attempting to establishs a connection to the batch pgm.&nbsp;&nbsp;I even wrote a third program which launches the control program in attempt to emulate the ARCServe behavior.&nbsp;&nbsp;Works like a charm (I'm using command-line parameters to direct the control program to invoke the sleep and wake-up methods).&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Does ARCServe create a &quot;protected&quot; shell environment wherein the pgm it launches can't access the registry for proper creation of a COM interface?&nbsp;&nbsp;(Yeah, sounds farfetched, but it's better than &quot;malicious alien quantum disbursion&quot;...) <br><br>If I HAVE to I can make my program go to sleep based on a timer, but the COM interface is more elegant since it automatically adhears to the backup job schedule, even if the schedule is changed.<br><br>Or perhaps I should just make the batch pgm close altogether during backup and then relaunch it...&nbsp;&nbsp;I can do the pgm close with SendMessage and no COM...<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back