Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job never leaving Queued

Status
Not open for further replies.

dparrott

MIS
Jul 26, 2004
US
Hey all,

We have been running Veritas BUE 10 for a couple of years, without any problems. Lately, none of the jobs are starting. All the jobs are in the Job Status of "Queued". After waiting 12 hours, they are still there (with the elapsed time showing the time from 9:00 PM the day the job was supposed to start) and a byte count of 0. The drive doesn't move the tape while this is happening either.

Any help in figuring out the problem and solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you have any alerts pending?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

No. The last alert was in May of 2007. This was working until a week or two ago.

I'm guessing you've already rebooted the server and power-cycled the tape deck? Remember, the tape deck has to finish it's self test before the server boots up.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

The drive is an internal drive, but yes, the server has been reset.

Can you re-create the job(s), or create a test job to see if that runs? Be sure to cancel any pending jobs first.

It's all the jobs, including inventories. The jobs are scheduled to start at 9:00 PM nightly. I haven't had a job actually do anything for a week or so.

Maybe the tapes are old?? How long has it been since you've used new tapes? Take a look in the system event log...does it say anything about a Bad Block?

Sorry it took me so long to get back, my mom had major surgery, and I spent alot of time at the hospital.

JLLeBoeuf, I don't think it's the tapes. We have some old tapes, and some new ones, and they all have the same problem. I checked the logs, and there are no errors (other than the jobs we canceled). It seems as if the job doesn't even start. BUE get to the time, and goes "ok, start the job." But then nothing else happens.

We don't have another drive to test these tapes in, so is there some software that can test the hardware?

Anyone have some other ideas?

Thanks

I had the same problem recently. I deleted the job and recreated a new one. I can't remember if I booted the server afterward, but it would not hurt. That fixed the problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back