Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job history not showing in EM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihaildamjan

Programmer
Jul 9, 2003
CA
For the last two weeks or so I can’t get any of the jobs to log the log history.
Job executes all right, SQL server log shows that the job finished, but when in Enterprise Manager you right-click to view the job history, that does not work ?!? It does not show that there is any job history for the last two weeks.. for all of the jobs. I tried deleting the job and re-creating it again, but that either did not work..

Any help in solving this issue is gratly appreciated

Mihail
SQL Server DBA

Look at the agent properties and see what the job history log settings are.
Also make sure that nothing drops and recreates the job.

======================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

If the max entries per job is large it could be that another job is using up all the entries and losing the ones you want.

I run a job to save job history to a table in an admin database.

Job history should go into MSDB database into sysjobhistory table.

I checked the properties of the agent, its set up not to limet the size of the job history log..

Am am a system adminitrator, and I am using my login id to run the jobs..

I dont know what could be the problem any more

Mihail

Have a look at sysjobhistory and see if there is anything there.
Check the job ID's from sysjobs.

The entries in sysjobhistory should be written at the completion of each step. Add a step to copy sysjobhistory as the last step of your job to see what is there.

Job ID is there in the sysjobs table, but there is no new records in sysjobhistory table in last two weeks since I started having this problem.

Mihail

OK ... maybe a dumb question BUT is SQL Server Agent running and the jobs are completing when ran manually.

Also have seen some interesting situations when the SQL Server logs are recycled as in sp_cycle_errorlog. Are you firing this off at any time?

Thanks

J. Kusch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back