Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job failure without error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

peradk

MIS
Oct 11, 2001
DE
Hi there,

I'm running BE8.6 with a DDS4 library - works fine.
I have now added a Dell DLT1 drive and I can label and erase tapes without problems, but when I try to run a backup it fails, but with no specific error in the job log:

Drive and media information from media mount:
Robotic Library Name:
Drive Name: DELL 1
Slot: 0
Media GUID: {D724F00B-F4EE-4C74-A4FE-9D80AF1785F0}
Media Label: DLT1 #2
Overwrite Protection Time Left: Infinite
Append Time Left: Infinite
Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

======================================================================
Job Operation - Backup
Media operation - overwrite.
Hardware compression enabled.
OFO: Started for device: "D:"

Job ended: Friday, January 10, 2003 at 3:03:48 PM
Job completion status: Failed

Any help would be appeciated

You may want to allow overwrite (set the overwrite protection to none)and set the append time to infinite as well.

Have you (or your sysadmin if you're not that also) looked at the computer's event logs? Maybe that will shed more light on it. Maybe there's a permission issue.

-SQLBill

I doesn't look like a permission problem since I can label and erase tapes. The tape is assigned to scratch before I start the job. Even if that was the problem, I would expect to see some errors in the joblog for this, no?

Cheers

--Per

- could just be a corrupt BE (backup exec) data folder (or just the individual scheduled job is corrupt), which is responsible for all your scheduled jobs, job logs, file selections.
- stop all BE services on the Media server
- drill down to Veritas\backup exec\NT\..and rename the "data" folder
- start all BE services
- verify a new data folder has been created (and yes, it will be empty. this is normal, until you redefine your jobs
- start the console (all scheduled jobs will have "disappeared") > define a new job and see what happens#
- if you still have the same issue > reverse the steps and you will have all your "old" jobs back

Cheers
Dog

I tried renaming the data folder as suggested, but this didn't help either. I have added another single DDS4 drive and the problem is the same with this - jobs fail with no specific error messages. I may have to try and re-install the BE server :-(

--Per

have you run BEdiag and checked the results? If you haven't run this before, it is located in BE Device tab\properties of the server\system tab - click on 'run bediag'. This can give you a comprehensive list of configurations and issues for your backup.

Check the System log in Event Viewer for event id's 7, 9, 11, 15 coming from a source of scsi controller or tape drive.

1. disable/delete the tape drive in BE|Devices tab.
2. Close BE.
3. Download latest drivers for 8.6:
4. Run the file by almost same name as download once you extracted out all the files.
5. Choose update tape device drivers on first screen w/choices.
6. On second screen with choices, choose third radio button down to remove all Veritas drivers and choose the checkbox below it to remove entries for unavailable devices.
7. Reboot.
8. Run above driver .exe file again, but this time choose the first radio button at top to install Veritas drivers for all devices.
9. Reboot.
10. Open BE and you should go thru a Device Config Wizard. If not, ok, check Devices tab.
-Test an inventory. Then go to Job Definitions and make sure the jobs are targeting a specific drive. Test a backup.

Good luck!

Hi, body, check whether you are facing the same pb as mine
thread481-458344

I ended up re-installing the server - and that did solve the problem. Still no idea what caused it.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.

--Per

I seem to be having the same problem as Peradk.

I'm using Veritas 8.6, and when I run a FULL backup, it works fine..I think. It will verify all files, with no errors...everything seems to be OK, then as soon as it finishes....JOB COMPLETION STATUS: FAILED...???

Any help is good help

Holyfrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back