Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Failed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonhulme

MIS
Jun 23, 2003
AU
Hello,

I am using BackupExec 9 Rev. 4367 with Windows 2000 Server SP3. I am using a VXA2 60/160Gb Tape Drive. This a small single server network. No other agents are installed, just a standard Install of BE9 with no extra options.

For the last few days I have been getting failed backups with the error message 'Access to the decive <SERVERNAME>\BKUPEXEC is not authorized with this edition of the product'.

Backups were working file with the evaluation version, which I was uising for a couple of weeks. When I put in the license information I started getting these errors. The license is an upgrade from ArcServe 6. All other data gets backed up and it looks like I can restore this data if I needed to.

It appears as though the job cannot backup the MSDE (SQL) databse that BackupExec uses, as BKUPEXEX is the database name. There is no SQL agent installed as this should not be required to backup BckupExec's own database.

I noticed there is a SQLAGENT $BKUPEXEC service that is set to manuel, I assume this is the agent that should be used to backup this data. I tried starting this service and setting it to automatic startup but this had no effect.

I will download and update the current version of BE9 to Rev. 4454 and then install Service Pack 1 and see if this helps.

Is there anything else that may help to resolve this issue

Thanks for your help

Regards

Jon

First, Backup Exec will start the SQL Agent on it's own when it needs to use it.

Second, when you install the EVALUATION copy of BE, you are installing EVERY option. So, installing the 'real' version of Backup Exec and installing the Evaluation copy are not the same thing.

If you really want to track down the problem WITHOUT paying lots of money, uninstall Backup Exec. Reinstall the Evaluation copy, but select CUSTOM install. Deselect ALL the options except for Backup Exec and SQL Agent. Run your backup jobs. Do they work? Then you need SQL Agent. If that doesn't work, reinstall and deselect SQL Agent and select another agent, repeat.

Once you figure out what agents you need, then you can reinstall the licensed version of BE and purchase the proper agent license.

-SQLBill

I kind of made my post confusing. There are two SQL Agents.

First, Backup Exec will start the SQL Agent on it's own when it needs to use it.

For that I meant the SQL Server Agent.

Deselect ALL the options except for Backup Exec and SQL Agent

For that I meant the Backup Exec Agent for SQL Server 2000.

-SQLBill

Jonhulme

just take out the backup of the SQL Server\BKUPEXEC.
This is the MSDE SQL database that Backup Exec uses.

It will only back it up if you have enough licenses of the SQL option installed.

FYI, you don't need to backup the backup exec MSDE database, as it will do it itself everynight as part of the cleanup. It will create a file called bedb.bak, which can be used to restore the database if need be.

It worked in the eval edition because as SQLBill says, the eval lets you do just about everything - apart from restore from IDR.

Hi Jonholme,
I have been having the same trouble and just found solution. I'm aware your post is quite old but others may benefit from this.
SQLBill is kind of right. It is a left over selection from the Eval install, however it is not avalailable in the GUI to 'deselect'.
To fix, all you have to do is create a new job and reschedule.
Do not import from other or existing source. Then delete your old job.

BigBadBodgeIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back