Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Engine Service Crapping Out 8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgaston

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2001
Our backups have started failing mid-way through. They show as active job but when I click on, they disappear. The job engine service always seems to have stopped. Have to unload & reload all Backup Exec services to get working again. Any ideas?

Variety of agents: notes, sql, exchange & various w2k servers. Starting happening when we setup exchange agent & exchange is located in different domain. Once we made all the configuration changes to enable backing up in the separate domain this started happening. The job itself disapears off the screen so I don't know how to even view the log & determine where job failed. And of course the bengine.exe has stopped. Thanks

Very interesting...first we should look for a log, it should be under c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\data
folder on the backup server. That should give some info on where the job stopped. If that doesn't help we should then put the job engine in debug mode. That is done by stopping the backup engine and entering the -debug in the startup parameters box and restarting the service. The debug log will be created in the same folder as the job log. Run the backup and check the debug log.

I am having the same problem with 8.6. I am backing up the same machines except everything is on NT4.0. I tried looking for the logs for the failed jobs by clicking on every one of them in the data directory but apparently they have disappeared too. I've been having this problem for quite a while. Was running 8.6 on a Compaq Proliant and switched to a Dell Power Edge 6400 to see if that would solve the problem, which it did not. I am currently working with Veritas support and they seem to think it is an error with MAPI on the exchange servers but have provided no solution as of yet.

jmanning:
So I have company! Well we can work together. Did this start for you by chance when you went with Agent for Exchange or by chance when you downloaded latest revision (beyond 3808. We're not getting much help from Veritas on it. I did reload Backup Exec & that seemed to solve the "crapping out" problem but I am consistently losing the connection to various servers & have a feeling that is related to some networking changes. Try the fresh reload to see if that solves your problem. Fred

This started when I upgraded from 8.5 to 8.6 back in April or May of this year. I have already reloaded twice, per Veritas support request, and am still getting the same problem. I send the drwtsn32.log to Veritas when it happens, and they tell me I need to combine all of my Exchange Brick level backups into one job in order to discover which server is causing the error, which is not feasible because we have 7 exchange servers, and each one takes 5-7 hours to do a brick level backup. Hopefully we can get this straightened out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back