Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jetdriect Printserver loose connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb307

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
DE
Hi fellas!

I've two HP5000 lasers connected to a Netware 5 LAN via Jetdirect 3111A, fw G.05.35 running as printservers each serving a queue on the same NW5 server.

One is on powersave the other not. But both have problems staying connected to the server.

I find lotta NOT-LOGGED-IN in Monitor and after removing them the Jetdirect usually could reconnect. Sometimes a restart of the Jetdirects is neccessary.

Any similar experioences out there?

Hints welcome,

Harald

NetWare 5.x is very particular when dealing with HP JetDirect units.

Upgrade the HP JetDirect BIOS for your particular model. You should be able to find at least v8.32 on the HP support Website. Use HP Download Manager to facilitate the BIOS updates.

This should solve your problems.

Good Luck!

I agree. Almost in all cases, we have had to update firmware on older JetDirect cards and boxes when upgrading the server to NetWare 5.x. And in 99.9% of the time this has always resolved printer issues since the server migration.

To get the HP Download Manager, goto:
Choose the "Quick Find your Product" under the "Printing and Digital Imaging" section, then type download manager into the quick find box. There is no need to search and download firmware revisions as the download manager does it for you. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Hi!

Could only upgrade one of the two units! The second (identical) is shown as not-upgradable. The other one seems to work. What are the possible reasons?

Thanx anyway.

Possible reasons are that they are not the same but are actually different model versions. Does the labelling indicate different model numbers? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

We went through a few HP Jet Direct devices that we thought were not upgradable, but then we figured out that we needed to upgrade their Bios twice. The first time takes it to a level that will allow it to be upgraded to the latest.

If these two devices are identical, then both should be able to be upgraded!

Good Luck.

Hi, me again ;-)

Thanx for all hints. I could solve the problem with the non-upgradeable JetDirect:

Summary:
Both are on the same LAN-IPX wise

IP LAN has 192.70.x.y

Upgradable unit has/had 192.z.0.192

Non upgradable had 191.0.0.191 and showed _only_ the IP address in "Download Manager"

The address was changed to an IP of the LAN and voila - upgrade went smooth.

Thanx to all and the JetDirects are just runnig fine (keep fingers crossed).

Harald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back