Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JetDirect 170x Printing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerhill

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Situation:
1.I have installed a JetDirect 170x (Rev J3258A)Print Server on my home network.
2.I am attempting to use it with an HPdeskjet 990cse printer in this system.
3.I have downloaded and installed the latest version of WebJetAdmin from HP (Ver 7.2).
4.I have downloaded and installed HP Install Network Printer Wizard.

5.Everything installed correctly, the Printer received an IP address dynamically from my DHCP server(which is inbedded in my DSL Modem Router).

6. I can log into WebJetAdmin and view or change my printer setting and it reports that everything is normal.

7. I go to print a test page from the printer and get Nothing!

8. I try to print from Notepad and Wordpad and can print. But not from any other application.

9. I log directly into the inbedded server using it's IP address and I get the message that "the printer is off line" but the printer is not off line, it is plugged in and working.

10. I changed the Printer Cable, and Network Cable individually to see if one of them may have been the fault. This did not solve the problem.

11. I uninstalled everything, reset the print server to it's factory defaults and re-installed everything as listed above and still have the same problem.

Any suggestions or advice to solving this issue are greatly appreciated.

Mike

Rule number 1

NEVER run DHCP from a jet direct box. You're asking for trouble.

Can you ping the jet direct box?

When you go into the web admin, try turning off Appletalk, and IPX, as they aren't probably needed. You may need to log onto the HP chat sites - I've seen them before, can't remember where though. Some color deskjets can't handle a jet direct. I've seen that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back