Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

jet direct loses static ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbarrett

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2001
US
We seem to be having a reoccuring problem here in my office. Periodically, some of our HP printers, attached to the network with Jet Direct cards, will become unprintable. In addition, we are unable to ping the jet direct card by it's ip address. As the subject suggests, all of our printers are setup with static ip addresses. At this point all we can do is reset the jet direct box and recreate the port on the print server.
Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

You might try upgrading the firmware. I've heard of this happening and that corrected it.

One thing, on the servers have you created JD ports or LPR ports. I found a long time ago, that JD ports had a tendency to wash out. I created all LPR ports and never had any more problems with printer ports disapearing. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

I you are running any sort of Novell client software or Citrix Metaframe these might cause troubles as well.

Are you using DHCP to obtain IP addresses for your client machines? If so, you may want to check to see if those IP address you have selected for your printers are reserved or excluded. You may have a problem with the IP address being released into the DHCP population and the printer never asking for a new one.

Another thing to try is to go to LPR printing. I've completly stopped using Jetdirect ports. Found LPR to be much more dependable. Give that a try on one of the problem printers and see if that helps. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back