Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jet Direct and Port 9100 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakechaffee

Technical User
Jun 20, 2007
US
We use label printers and a few are older models that have no direct network connection so they are wired to HP Jet Directs and connected parallel. We recently had issues with two where they would not print. We replaced both and the issue has fixed on one but not on the other.

The Jet Directs are manually configured with static IP's now the tricky part is that one is configured with 172.50.203.176, this one we cannot get to work no matter what we have tried.

We have tried switching the jet direct, the network cable, the parallel cable; and have even switched which printer is connected to.

Is there such a thing as not being able to RAW print to a certain ip address or is there something simple I'm not thinking about.

Jake Chaffee

Jake Chaffee
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who can't."

Are you able to telnet to the JetDirect box to look at the configuration?

Port 9100 (if I remember) is for the LPD (Line Printer Daemon). Are you printing with LPD on port 9100, or are you using the JetDirect port installed by the JetDirect software?

If you plug a different printer into the parallel port does it work? Can you do a test print by pressing the test button on the JetDirect box?

OK.... here's some elimination stuff for you.

1) If you can telnet to the JetDirect box, then it is not your network cable.
2) If you can do a test print by pressing the button on the JetDirect box, it is not the printer or the printer cable.

.... if you can do both of those, then it has to be a driver issue, or the way you are sending print jobs.

.... if you cannot telnet to the JetDirect box, then it could be:
o The IP address is set wrong
o The cable is bad
o The JetDirect box is bad

You can try doing a "full reset" on the JetDirect box, and re-assign the IP address and so forth.

3) If you press the button on the JetDirect box, and you do NOT get a printout, then try plugging a different printer in (a known working one). If you get the test page then, it's the printer.

.... if you do not get a test page, then it could be the parallel cable, OR it could be the JetDirect box itself.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

I think we finally narrowed it down to the parallel port on the printer.

I was able to Telnet, so I knew it wasn't the network cable, but if we did a test print from the Jet Direct nothing happened.

We are using 9100 for RAW printing from SAP. It's hard to troubleshoot sometimes because if a job doesn't go through we get no notification. In SAP it will still show as spooled like normal.

In our haste of trying a different Jet Direct on the printer we didn't try the bad Jet Direct on a working printer.

Thanks for the help.

Jake Chaffee
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who can't."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back