Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jet database error message, help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec

Programmer
Mar 7, 2001
US
Hi everyone,
I posted my help here, got few responds but still haven't found any solution so I decided to repeat it again.

I'm working with an existing application created with Access and a back end SQL server.
originally the application was working fine with an integer value for this particular field called "Credits". Now that user need to enter decimal value I need to make few modification.

The changes I made was only this:
1. I went to my SQL server, located the particular field called "Credits" located in one of the table,
opened it in design view and change the datatype from integer to float and saved
it.
2.I went to my access database, re-link all the associated Views and tables, change the format in the fields property window of Access to accommodate the float datatype changes and saved it.

3. Then I went to the code and changed all the related variables used to stored the value of this field (Credits)from Integer to double and saved it.

Then I am testing the application with both value. I just found out that:
If I do an update using non decimal value example 1,2,3,4,5 etc than I did not get this message BUT

If I do an update using decimal value like 1.5 or 2.5 then the message show up.
In both instances whatever values i enter are saved
correctly into the underlying table.

The error says:
"The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and other user are attempting to change the same data at the same time"

The fact is, I'm the only one using the .mdb file so there is no other user.
Anymore advice for me? thank yo so much for helping - Alec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back