Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JET 4.0 SP8 install doesn't "stick"

Status
Not open for further replies.

substitute

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
GB
When one of my users upgraded to a new PC with Access 2003 he got the usual "you need to install JET 4.0 SP8" error message on opening an Access database. I installed SP8 from Windows Update as requested and rebooted. Access STILL asks for SP8 to be installed. Windows Update shows SP8 in the installation history and no longer offers it as an update. Add/Remove Programs doesn't show SP8 (but nor does a PC that installed successfully) so I can't uninstall and re-install. The PC is a brand new HP with Windows XP Professional and Office 2003 Professional. I have installed all the Windows critical updates recommended by Windows Update.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and, more importantly, found a solution?

Thanks, Ian.

I've had the same problem. Someone suggested to me to tell if JET 4.0 Service Pack 8 is installed:
- look for the file "MsJet40.dll" in the folder
c:\windows\system32 OR c:\WinNT\system32
- right click the file and select properties
- on the version tab you should see 4.0.8xxxx, if not then
Service Pack was not installed

Mine did install and Access 2003 still displays the security error. If you open Access 2003, and go to Tools, Macro, Security and change it to the "Not Recommended" Low setting, the message to doesn't appear.

It's not a solution, but it is a work around. I'll be watching for other ideas.

Thanks for your response - I'll get the user to check the DLL version.

Meanwhile I've done the security setting bit. After all, everyone else in the office is running Access 2000 without the "added security" so its not exactly going to do any harm!

Ian.

I've got the same problem as well. I'm thinking of using one of my included MS Support calls with my licence about this issue, as its really starting to annoy me. I don't fancy going around all of the workstations manually changing settings, although I don't like getting phone calls every 30 mins saying they may have a virus! (Secuirty warning!!! - I give up!)

Thanks,

Steve.

I remember reading somewhere that this can be caused by having two versions of MSJet.dll.

Try file find MSJet* and see if the old version is still there.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back