Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jet 4.0 References ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acamusc

Technical User
Apr 7, 2003
Hi! Can somebody help me with an explanation about Jet References? What they are, which I have to select and why.
Programming with Access 97 I did never realize about their existence but with Access 2KXP I had a lot of problems.
Is there any good text to read about?
Thank you in advance for your kind attention.
Acamus

Hi

It is all very simple really

In Access 97 and before DAO was the default access method

In Access 2000 and later, the default is ADO

To use the DAO library in your application simply open any code module in design view

Choose Tools \ References from the menu

Ensure the DAO library is selected

If you are not going to use any ADO objects, you may deselect the ADO library (Or Libraries)

Between the two libraries there are some common object names, for example Recordset, so in your code, ensure you qualify your definitions (Dim statements), you can simply qualify all of them, it will do no harm so for example

Dim Db as DAO.Database
Dim Rs as DAO.Recordset

You should also note that you can access jet databases via ADO, if you wish, but to the best of my knowledge theer is no advantage in doing so, and thus if you are more familiar with DAO you may wish to stick with those.

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Many thanks Ken, I realized at first qhen I loaded the Office Pro 2002 XP, because my dim definitions didn't show Database, Workspace, so I had to load Jet 3.6 Reference and then they show up. But when I open Tools/Options/References, I saw an overwhelming list of "References", that's the reason I asked for help, in order to know when I have to load other ones or I could be missing some that don't let me work Access properly.
You opened me a way to find out, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back