Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jet 3.5 SQL and tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoon

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
I am using a commercial database program that was made using Access 97 and runs on Jet 3.5. I do not use Access to run this program. Each table is in a file like HISTORY.MDB or CUSTOMER.MDB.

The program updates the required tables when entering data in a form for data entry. There are about 20 tables.

There is a form to enter SQL for each table to do simple updates and simple select type reports. The program also comes with built in reports.

Question 1; I want to add a column to a table, when I enter the add column SQL I get a message saying the table is in use. How can I add a column?

Question 2; I want to update fields in one table from data in fields in another table. I tried several update SQL but each time I get a message saying I can't do that. How can I update fields?

I am learning databases and SQL because of this program, which I have to work with. I could use any help, like a tip, an example or a book suggestion.

1) sounds like you'll have to kick off the other users first :)

2) use a subselect:

update foo set bar = (select asdf from baz where foo.id = baz.id)

Carnage Blender. Over 40 million battles served.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back