Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JDK version for NetBeans 5.5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonSellick

Programmer
Nov 3, 2003
GB
Hi,

Sorry to post a trivial problem, but I can't work out the answer (well, it is Friday).

I'm planning to develop a web service client (Win XP for both development and running) and have downloaded NetBeans 5.5.1 as it appears to do a fair bit of the work for you. [Is this a good choice?]

On trying to create the AnagramGame sample as per the web service client tutorial, I get to the 'New Web Service Client' wizard, but it complains that the JDK is not the correct version:
Code:
[red]To create web service clients in this project, the Java source level must be at least JDK 1.5
[/red]
According to the NetBeans Help/About/Detail, the Java version is 1.6.0_02. Is this different from the JDK version? And how does Java EE 5 fit into the scheme?

The PC has two Java directories under Program Files: jre and jdk, both at version 1.6.0_2. Have I pointed NetBeans at the wrong directory?

As I said, apologies for what is probably a trivial post, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Stefan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I eventually found the answer (in the NetBeans help :~/): the error refers to the source level of generated Java and defaults to 1.4. As long as 1.5 is available on the platform, it can be selected as a project property, and the error then goes away.

Thanks again for replying.

Simon.

I just installed the JRE 6 Update 2 as well as the JDK with Net Beans 5.5.1. When I run the sample applications, which are Swing apps I believe, the form displays on the screen but I'm not able to interact with the form at all. In a nutshell, no events are taking place. I receive no error messages.

However, I am able to create console applications as new projects. Do I need to download some sort of plug in to run the Swing apps?

I'm running this on an XP Home SP2 machine.

This would be considered a newbie question but I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back