Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

jDeveloper od Forte 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanpierre

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
CA
Hi,

I am new to Java IDEs - I was wondering which would be a better IDE to start out with.

Thanks,

Jean

Hi Jean

We use both here in our development environment. I have to say I'm a one-eyed JDeveloper fan over all the other Java IDE's I've come across. (Go figure - why I'm in this forum!) But in saying that there are also a couple of Forte fans here in our midst.

Both are very good products in the Java IDE space. You might also want to try out NetBeans which also has a good following.

Basically the best way is to try them for yourself and see which one suits you. But JDeveloper is a good start.

RjB.

Thanks for your posts.

Do you know where I can find good beginners instructions online on how to use these IDEs? Preferably free! Thanks.

Hi again

Here's were you can download - plus some white papers (which can be pretty terse!) demo's and sample code.

JDeveloper has its own help when installed - I'd start with this if it was me. Startup the application and hit F1.

Here's a link for Forte - no expert on this IDE so I'll just leave you the link and wish you luck.

RjB.
p.s thanks for the vote !

In the new Oracle9i JDeveloper there are a lot of extras you won't find in forte
UML modeling, Code profiling, Codecoach, Business Components for Java, BI Beans and many other things and capabilities.

Check out the newly posted reviewrs guide on otn.oracle.com/products/jdev for a fast start and overview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back