Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JDev Connection Manager Problems : Plz Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanonia

Programmer
Jan 31, 2003
GB
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this connection problem I have. I've been trying to solve it for days and have had no luck.

I have a development server, win2000 with Oracle 8.1.7 client and JDeveloper 3.1.

My database is a separate machine running SOLARIS Intel 8 with Oracle 8.1.7 database.

I am using one of the simple sample programs to create an applet to connect and retrieve one table in a grid. (JDev help sample that deals with connection to DB on same machine)

I know that you must use oracle connection manager to bridge / overcome the applets security restrictions, so this is installed on the dev machine with the cman.ora file as follows.

// CMAN.ORA

CMAN_ADMIN = (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.100.0.169)(PORT=1650))
CMAN = (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.100.0.169)(PORT=1630))
cman_profile = (parameter_list=

(maximum_relays=512)
(log_level=1)
(tracing=yes)
(trace_directory=/oracle/network/trace)
(relay_statistics=yes)
(show_tns_info=yes)
(use_async_call=yes)
(authentication_level=0)

)

I have a TNS setup in tnsnames.ora as follows

SOLTEST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.100.0.169)(PORT = 1630))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.100.0.170)(PORT = 1521))
)
(source_route=yes)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = SOLARPP)
)
)

This connection works excellently through sqlplus and if I stop the Oracle Connection Manager the connection fails which proves it is setup correctly.

However when I try to use the connection wizard in Jdev to point to the database using the SOLTEST instance via TNS i get the following

IO Exception : Connection refused....

If I try to run the program I get the following.

JBO-26061: Error while opening JDBC connection.

The connection string it is trying to use is

jdbc:eek:racle:thin:mad:(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.100.0.169)(PORT=1630))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.100.0.170)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=SOLARPP)))

which looks correct to me.

To sum up. If I create a direct connection to the database without Oracle Connection Manager JDev connect wizard works fine, however if I try to connect via TNS / Oracle Connection Manager, JDev connect wizard gives me the errors above. I have tried everything in the connection wizard of JDev but no luck.

I can't use the direct connection method to the database, as when the app is deployed I run into the app security restrictions.

Can anyone help me or does anyone know if this is a bug / limitation of JDev 3.1 ?

Thanks for anyhelp you can offer.

I'm not sure, but I suppose that THIN driver needs host:port:sid syntax. Try oci driver. Regards, Dima

It looks like a bug / limitation with JDev 3.1

Just installed and tested on 9.03 and works fine :D

I still don't understand why you can't use direct connect. What security advantages do you get from connection manager?

Also, each client machine must be installed with the oracle 817 network client software, right?

Have you tried using the PDF Toolkit to solve your problem? I'm currently using server-side java servlet to populate a pdf forms. This gives me a nicer interface, the ability to take user input from the client, without having to worry about the oracle network client software or security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back