Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JDE testing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2002
US
Hi everyone,

I have what I hope is a quick question around JD Edwards and testing within test environments. I have a client that says they maintain two DB/2 databases, one test, and one production. For testing, they say they 'detatch' their production objects and custom libraries and 'point' the objects/libraries to the test database. Basically they say they have 1 set of objects and libraries, with 2 databases. Is this possible to do?

I've always recommended/heard that you maintain 2 seperate environements, test and production. You migrate your production custom libraries and objects to the test/dev environment, do your new dev work, test on the test database, them promote your code to prodcution.

You can't just 'point' to the test database, make your changes and test, then point your objects back to the production database. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Andrew

Andrew,,,

Not sure how many responses you will get here.. There is another site that could be more useful,,, jdetips. They have both a World and OneWorld section. If your customer is a World Software user,,, I do not see how that is possible. If the are OneWorld,,, that seems like a "LOT" of work..

jmd0252,

Thanks for the response, they are using OneWorld. I've never heard of someone doing this, so I wanted to check with the "experts." Thanks again, and I'll try the jdetips site.

Andrew

We did something similiar. We had a CRP environment (PY, but for older versions) that we had done all of our testing in during an implementation of the Adv Whse and Sales Order modules. When we were ready to go live, we were almost out of money and couldn't afford the consultant costs to migrate everything into the PROD environment where we were live on Financials.

Instead, we copied the JDE_PRODUCTION database to JDE_CRP2. We then setup an environment called CRP2 that was using the same central objects as CRP, but a different DSN for the Business Data.

Any mods we did in CRP immedeately impacted CRP2 because it was looking at the same sources for the objects.

I do NOT recommend this. They really should setup a DV, PY, and PD environment and do the mods in DV, promote to PY for testing, then to PD for Production. If Disk Space is an issue, they'll have to bite the bullet and buy some.

Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back