Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JDE & Crystal 8 connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2001
US
Can someone walk me through how to setup my ODBC/ODA connection so that the names of the fields and tables come out in a user friendly format. I know it can be done because I've read numerous pages on the JDE site and Crystal that says it can be done. Their partners.

Basically what I'm seeing is

Table Field
F4101 IMITM

What I want to see is the long table (Item Master) and field names (Item Number). I'm trying to write several reports using Crystal and it is taking forever to mine through all these tables and fields. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Susan

I am having the same problem. The table names do not make sense because it is in JDE alpha-numeric.Is there a site that gives some helpful hints on using JDE and Crystal 8.5?

Thanks.

I haven't found one yet. I do have what is called the "Worldsoftware Data Models" book from JDE that gives you an idea of what the tables contain and what they are. Ex F4101 is the Item Master, F4102 is the Item Branch, F3003 is the Routing Master. It also shows the relationship between the tables (one to many, etc) but doesn't tell you on what field it is related to. I've had to come up with my own "field mapping".

If you go to the "Management Menu" you should be able to type a "40" in the selection and it will bring up a form that you can type the name of the table in. Press enter and it will list the fields, description, type, length & position. I've copied and pasted this info into a spreadsheet so I can reference it. I hope this is of some help to you.

If you find a true "data mapping" source or a way to set up the ODBC connection so that it converts it to a user friendly format, please let me know.

Thanks for the info dataprincess.

Which version of OneWorld are you using? JDE has a report writer incorporated into their package. I have just started to look into it as Crystal is very difficult to apply to JDE. Are you familiar with the JDE report writer?

Not real familiar with the report writer in JDE, been using mostly the canned reports.

We are evaluating J.D.Edwards One World right now, and the report writer looks very powerful. You may want to take the time and try it. Dan

JDE report writer is cumbersome and the reports it produces are thirsty.
Crystal is a better choice by miles.

N

So if your suggestion is to avoid the JDE report writer then are you using Crystal? If so have you found a data mapping that you could share or could you tell me where to get it? The info I've found on the JDE site is useless when it comes to developing relationships and understanding the data flow through the many tables. If you have any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In order to configure your ODA settings so you will not see the long table/field name you go into the System DSN tab, choose OneWorld ODA and hit Configure. There are 4 choices for Fields and Table names. I believe if you choose Use Long Column names, it will fix your problem. You might have to try the others if it does not work.

Greg

Hi guys,

I've been reading the reporting issue. Two years ago we've investigated what report tool we were going to use for OneWorld. A visit to Denver learned us that the JDE Report Writer is not user friendly at all. We've chosen Cognos as our reporting tool ans are still satisfied with this choice, very powerful with Impromptu and Powerplay.
We are a leading multinational Pharmaceutical company, I'm based in Europe.
I hope this helps you with your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back