Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jbuilder, java to .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have Borland Jbuilder 6 enterprise edition and was
wondering if anyone knows how to make an compile java into
a .exe ?

Why would you want to make a class file an exe? When you do that, you make your code platform specific as exe's contain machine language, usually very specific to your platform and microprocessor, one main feature of Java is that your code is platform independent. Plus you can transfer a copy of the JRE with your software to run your program for free. Just wondering why so many people like to transform class files in executables?

JavaDude32

I know it doesn't make any sense. Why would you want to nail one foot to the floor that way?
The true beauty of the Java platform is that it is portable...no other language does that. If you want to use .exe then perhaps C++ would be a better suited language to your needs.

I'm not sure if you just want to create something that will easily allow you to launch your app, or you really want to create a exe file. If you truly want to create an exe file, check out this thread: Thread269-276852

While I agree that this really takes away one of the beauties of java, that being platform independence. It Does make the app run a whole lot wuicker as it doesn't have to run through the VM.

-gc "I don't look busy because I did it right the first time."

I use JDeveloper, which is an Oracle product. Free download (you have to register).
Go to There are a lot of good features like code coach. I used that a lot when I was learning. It is a sort of autocomplete. It is pretty hard to remember all the methods and variables in the Java packages and this helps.

You can use Microsoft Java SDK. It's free to download from Microsoft website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back