Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jaws friendly textbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

IknowMe

Programmer
Aug 6, 2004
US
In our office we have some visually impaired folks and are trying to make our user forms Jaws friendly. Currently to allow a Jaws user to hear the corresponding label for a textbox we need to set it's tabstop property to true. If it is not tabable Jaws does not read it and a visually impaired person is left knowing there is a textbox for input but not what they should be inputting.

The tabstop works great for VI's but now our sighted users are complaining that they must tab twice to move from textbox to textbox. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way (or propery maybe) to incorporate the label into the textbox so I can make both my VI and V users happy?

I have a copy of Jaws here I can test with so even if you don't please let me know of any ideas you may have. I am willing to try anything.

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

I moved this over to the VBA forum under thread707-1392272. I thought there may be more Excel, Word ect. VI users and my responses could be greater than the Access forum.

What about making a flag for the user that is VI and using a sub procedure to set the tab properties of the labels on opening the form?

I'm not a programmer but I appreciate what you are doing as my Daughter is VI so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Even if you don't have users you could put a button as the first tab in the form so they could set the label properties.

I would try to modify the tab stop in the form load event. Only set it to true if the user's windows login information is found in a list of the VI users.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

I would also consider labelling it something like "Jaws User" or something other than VI as there could be liability issues if someone feels singled out.

I like laws that help the disabled, particularly blind people because of my daughter, but if you are in the US, you have to be careful because some do abuse the spirit of these laws in the courts.

Got it all squared user is query'd for Jaws use on initial launch, value is then stored as preference. Form LabelArray tabstops are set accordingly via procedure.

It was a nice project to work on as it showed me how easy it is to consider Jaws in VBA programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back