Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript Vs VBscript 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh20

Programmer
May 15, 2000
GB
Hello<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm currently learning JavaScript and would like to know what the main differences are between Javascript and VBscript? Can Javascript be used in the same ways as VBscript eg. The I love you bug, could Javascript do something like that.<br><br><br>Thanks

Vbscript is based off the same syntax as microsft's popular language Visual Basic, it lets you take alot more control of the enviroment , and is rather easy to use, there is one major downside tho, its Internet Explorer only, so going with Javascript will help for maxium compatibility. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

<b>You email you sent to me:</b><br><br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>Thanks. <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;So you would recommend Javascript over VBscript. I have no previous programming experience only in HTML. All though I have messed with VB5 and VJ++ but not really gone into any of these very far.<br>&nbsp;<br>Thanks again.<br>&nbsp;<br>P.S. I've sent an E-mail because I can't seem to be able to post to the list.<br></font><br><b>and my response:</b><br><FONT FACE=monospace><br><br>far as not being able to post, make sure you have a membership there, but it really depends on your situation, if you targeted audience is going to use netscape or any other browser, than javascript would be your choice, if everyone is going to use IE4.x, or you dont care if some will be on netscape go with VBscript, also I think I need to stress that Java and Javascript are not the same thing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most people would prefer vbscript because it is easier to work with, for example, did you know that lovebug virus was written in a vbscript that is executed by microsoft outlook.<br>&nbsp;<br></font><br> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Everywhere I go, I'm getting VBScript errors (I use IE).&nbsp;&nbsp;Is this a compatability thing or are people just stupid at VBScript?<br><br>P.S.&nbsp;&nbsp;I love Javascript!

Hehe it really depends, I find that its mostly that people get lazy at the coding. All vbscript I've written run fine, if i take consideration into doing it right. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I was just wondering...Since nothing seems to work right in Netscape anyway, and less than 10 percent of my site visitors are using Netscape, what I've been doing is redirecting my NN visitors to a stripped down page. But, It's time to change everything, and I'm much more comfortable with VB & VB Script than JS. I was thinking of using the same opening page, and then, if the visitor has IE, updating with document.write, and if they have NN, just redirecting them to text only--which also applies to the WEBTV crowd, if they're still out there. It's a case of &quot;too bad, so sad&quot;, but NN doesn't even display page layout correctly, despite multiple attempts, and I don't have the time to play around with it. Would I have an easier time with innerHTML and document.write with VB over JS?

Jonathan

jonathan, innerHTML is understood in NS6 without any problem.

I think VBScript is the worst thing that can happen on a page. You can do almost anything you can with VB using Javascript. And by learning javascript you also learn how to program with something based on a standard so you might see it work on Mozilla or Netscape in a Unix enviroement or even in Linux, OS2, Mac OSX etc... VBScript works in windows enviroments only and only in Internet Explorer.

You know my theory is that if you make a page work with standards such as ECMAScript (javascript that is) people with something else than Internet Explorer will come to your page.

Currently people in third world countries have to pay a month salary (sometimes a year salary) to buy a windows Licence just to be able to surf the web despite their 9600 baud modems they use. These people would prefer using Mozilla which is free. Give them a chance; use Javascript. Gary Haran

I agree 100% with xutopia. IE is also a lot more tolerant of script and HTML errors, so of course there are times when &quot;nothing seems to work right in Netscape&quot;.

JavaScript/VBScript ?

JavaScript has been shown to execute and run faster than VBScript. It is understood by more browsers, and is not really a difficult language to learn.

VBScript has advantages if your a Visual Basic programmer. It also has alot of usefull easy to use/learn functions.

The language you choose, really depends on the platform and environment that your &quot;application&quot; will be used.

If your developing for the web where users from around the world will be viewing your Website, then I suggest JavaScript.

If your &quot;application&quot; is for an inhouse project or a project that only allows/supports users of a certain type of browser you could use VBScript (if IE Browser). VBScript is a MicroSoft standard, and if your inhouse staff is mostly or all MS(VB), then the use of VBScript should not be a problem.

Just MOP. &quot;did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said.&quot;

MrGreed

I give another star to MrGreed. :) Javascript is faster and is the default scripting language understood by all browser Internet Exploder included! :) Gary Haran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back