Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript viewed in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nis81

Technical User
Dec 11, 2006
GB

Hi,

Another question, i am using a javascript form in a html document which i will email via outlook. However when i view my form in Outlook it appears formatted differently to the way it is formatted and viewed in dreamweaver. Is this a issue with javascript in general when used in Outlook? or is it likely i have made an error in my creating the form?

Thanks,

>>Is this a issue with javascript in general when used in Outlook? or is it likely i have made an error in my creating the form?

i think its the JavaScript, lots of email clients dont like JavaScript cause they may lead to security issues...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

i also believe that OUTLOOK will "disarm" any Javascripts in the HTML file. this is done by added some text to the <script> tag.
the person who recieves the e-mail needs to edit the added text out of the <script> tag in the HTML file in order for the Javascript to work.

regards

magicme

Hi,

thank you for your help.

hmm, just wondering is there anyway i can run a script of any type from outlook?

i think u can run VBScript...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Whether you can run code in an email message within Outlook is dependent upon Outlook's configuration. Outlook can be set to block scripts as a possible security risk and I believe this is the default setting nowadays. Companies using Outlook and Exchange servers typically filter not only code but attachments that may be harmful and there is no way to get around that.

What is your need for executing Javascript within the email page? You will probably need to find another approach like presenting them with a link to the web server based form to fill out.

In some instances an Outlook form can be used and you can use VBA code within it but Outlook forms are also automatically blocked from code execution unless the form is published in a known safe location on the Exchange server. In that case the form is actually executing from the trusted location not from the email object and so is safe. If it is sent as a new email object it is automatically denied rights to execute any code within.
This has been the default configuration for Outlook since Outlook 2000 SR2.

At my age I still learn something new every day, but I forget two others.

thanks,

Im running a emailable newslettter, which i would like to contain a form using javascript with radio buttons that allows the reader to subscribe to further issues.

I am looking to upload the newsletter to the server and adding it to the company website and sending readers a link to the newsletter rather than the newsletter itself, so hopefully this should work.

But i could also embedd a link in the newsletter to the form which could be uploaded to the server and viewed as a separate webpage? and thus executed from there?

Yes.
You just format your newsletter as HTML and the link should work since it is only markup not script. The only problem would be if someone has set Outlook to read in text and not allow HTML. That is fairly uncommon these days though.

At my age I still learn something new every day, but I forget two others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back