Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JavaScript not working in IE8

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimav

Technical User
Nov 9, 2012
GB
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone will either point me in the right direction or at least point out what I've missed!

I have a workstation that has had no problems running JS for a while which has suddenly decided it doesn't want to play ball anymore. As far as I am aware the only change is that I had uninstalled some CAD software and reinstalled the latest version of it. I've spoken to the developers and they say the only bit of JS that is used is for their 'starthere' splash page that shows the installation menu on the install disc. So I believe it's probably a coincidence.

I know JS isn't running as drop menus on our intranet aren't working and the 'starthere' splash I mention above isn't working either, this runs as a .hta. Otherwise there are no errors, popups or security bars in IE to ask for permission or to tell me something is wrong.

So far I have registered vbscript.dll and jscript.dll. I've made sure that the IE security settings are checked to allow scripts. I've deleted the cache, etc. I've reset IE to defaults. So far I haven't stumbled upon any more advice other than this, although I am still looking.

So if anyone can think of anything else, that would be fantastic! Thank you in advance :)

Jay

Tools - Manage Add-ins. Make sure they are all enabled.

Hi rmgates,

Thanks for the reply but I have already checked that as well. All ticked and enabled!

Jay

Ben,

Presumably you mean under Security>Custom Level? Yes, everything is enabled in there as well.

One thing I've noticed looking at the machine today is that 8/10 times when the page loads it's missing a couple of elements, such as the arrow next to a link to indicate a drop down menu or the icon next to our search bar. They all appear when I click to try and get a drop down menu and sometimes they are there to begin with too.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jay

Does it work with another browser?
Has a Noscript type plugin been installed?

What happens if you go to sunspider?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I am unable to install a different browser due to software restrictions.
No plugins installed, again due to software restrictions.

Considering I've been looking at this problem for a week, you would have thought the user would have told me they couldn't access the internet either... so I can't try the sunspider test as he can't access any external websites! Something else to look into!

Thanks.

Jay

Perhaps part of the lockdown involves disabling scripting via GPO ...

What happens if you try to run wscript fom a comma line?

Ok now we're getting somewhere, it's far more than just jscript.

Start with the basics, as it's stopping external.

Does it go via a proxy to get to the web? Are the correct exceptions in there?
If on a domain, is there a GP group they are not in?
Does it work under an admin account?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

@strongm

No, the GPO doesn't disable scripts. As I've said, this has stopped our intranet working and there are a lot of various portals for suppliers, drawings and parts that we use on there. This has all happened since this CAD software was uninstalled. But I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or not. Seems odd that some CAD software would stop js and stop websites from loading.

When we run wscript from cmd we get a Windows Script Host Settings dialog box come up with the first option unchecked and second one checked.

@Sympology

Yes, we do use a proxy. The settings for which are controlled via a GPO and he is definitely a member of the correct group with no conflicting groups. The user is away tomorrow so I can spend all day trying differnet profiles, I will update once I've tried.

And sorry for the late reply, busy day :(

Thank you both for your help so far!

Have you tried resetting the IP stack and/or winsock?

If not, start with the ip reset(from an command prompt - elevated if Vista or W7 - run 'netsh int ip reset reset.log' ). You may then want to reboot. If this doesn't work you can try 'netsh winsock reset catalog'. Note that this will clear any Link Service Providers (e.g. antivirus, firewall, or proxy clients), so you may first want to see if you have any installed via 'netsh winsock show catalog' so that you can reinstall them after resetting winsock

strongm, stupid question time: running the catalog command shows lots of entries, a couple of which to do with Sophos. Do I just reinstall the Sophos client to put them back in the winsock catalog?

Thanks,

Sympology, I have tried two more accounts. Both my account (elevated compared to a user, but not a domain admin) and the local admin account on the machine have the same problems. Jscript doesn't appear to be working nor will it load any websites.

>do I just reinstall the Sophos ...

Not a stupid question at all. The answer is yes

Strongm, unfortunatly resetting the IP stack and winsock didn't work. Still no external websites :( I'm unable to ping external websites because of our firewall, same with a traceroute as well. I've checked the DNS is correct, all IP settings are correct. As far as I can tell the proxy is ok, as long as we log on as a domain user it takes the security settings from that.

Just to completely rule out DNS issues what happens if you try to open this IP address in a browser:

(It should bring up Google, whether or not there are DNS issues) If it doesn't then your Internet connection issue is deeper than that, though would suggest it would be affecting other users as well.

Also what happens if you log onto the machine with a user that is not part of the domain?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Going to the IP for Google doesn't work either. Does exactly the same thing, at the bottom is says 'Waiting for website', I get 3 or 4 blocks in the progress bar and then I get told I have no Internet Connection.

User thats not part of the domain? Would a local administrator account suffice? If so, I've already tried that... with no effect. Doesn't even ask for proxy logon details which seems a little strange.

A Local admin account should work nicely. Also posting your current IP configuration as suggested by Ben would help us diagnose.

When you do, a comparison to a working machine's IP configuration in the same network would be helpful.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Morning everyone,

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away for just over a week. While I was off it seems that who ever took over the call just rebuilt the machine due to there being other problems!

Thanks for all your help though.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back