Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

javascript like functionality with perl in webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

inforeqd

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
I've posted a few items thus far, luckily I've found
solutions before bothering too many people. Now I'm at
another crossroad.

I need to perform the following.

On the webpage .. I want to have a text box that a user
enters text into. Then clicking a submit button that text
is transferred to a server, and then the current setting,
the one that was just entered, is reported back to that
same text box. I would like to do this in a manner that
would not require refreshing the browser page. Something
similiar to a javascript functionality but using perlscript
(since I have the perl written to do this from command line).

I've looked around and found a tutorial that stated I could
call a perlscript via a javascript. It looks promising however what type of html would I need, would it be something similiar to the standard CGI text box.

I hope this isnt too confusing an explanation. Any thoughts
or ideas would be great since this is project in the making.

TIA
inforqd

As you are submitting the form to the server, the user would expect to see something different appear on their screen, otherwise they would get ever so confused and keep clicking the submit button until their fingers fall off.
Remember - we are operating in a world where one of my clients held backup up floppy discs on the side of a filing cabinet using magnets.

Keith

Keith, .. Understand where youre going with that in reference to the user. Let me give you a little bit of
where i'm going with this. I posted similiar questions to
newsgroups and just havent checked them. So I'll start here.

I am TRYING to write..some simple webbased interfaces to my command line perl scripts. I'm new to cgi so thats an adventure in itself. But what I'd like to do is this. My scripts control my amateur radio. I can run them from the command line and query, change etc etc every function of the radio. But what I want to do is present a single webpage where other people on the net can do this. I'd prefer to keep my perl in place and just somehow (I dont know how to do it). call that perl in a webpage. But I would like to not have the webpage update but have the actions be performed "in the background" without the user really knowing that its happening other than a quick update within the browser.I have seen some interactive javascript sites that pretty much have the look and feel, but I dont know how to do it in perl with cgi or SSI for that matter. Plus I'd much rather run them on the server rather than have that javascript go out to each browser.

Any ideas ???? I hope I kind of made it sound easier.

I think I understand what you are trying to achieve now so a few questions.
When you say the scripts control your Am. Rad. Is that in an interface way or just the logs etc?
How many individual functions are there?
Would a machine based app. with server data logging be more suitable?

Keith

sorry about the delay getting back.
The control would be in an interface way using standard
tcp connections.

I've wrappered up the commands in individual perl scripts
right now. But I need to call these scripts from the webpage and I'd like to have things like the onclick feature etc available.

print "<script language=javascript src=/whatever/myscript.js></script>\n";

No ?

--Paul

Nancy Griffith - songstress extraordinaire,
and composer of the snipers anthem "From a distance ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back