Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

javascript instead of vb script resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAMSIN

Programmer
Sep 6, 2000
GB
hi,
i'm using javascript instead of vbscript for asp scripting, because i'm much more familiar with java. its ok most of the time, but i do get stuck sometimes :) and all the asp sites on the internet seem to be about vbscript.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resouces for asp using javascript? does anyone else at all use javascript?!
thanks,

Check out
and if you want the full MS documentation on JScript,
go to
side note:
it's good that you're going to code in JScript... I read somewhere that JScript performs MUCH better than VBScript in mostly everything except for String handling. I forgot where though, but trust me :)

Also, if you want ASP examples in JS, it's good to note it here. There are a few of us who are familiar with both, and if you need help, just say you need a JS example in your post.

Whether JScript outperforms VBScript really depends on the server it is run on. People will try to tell you one or the other and give reasons etc. They tend to include the argument that Java is faster than VB because VB isn't pre-compiled always (it's an optional setting in VB). Also, don't confuse Active Server Pages with Java Server Pages, which are two different server-side programming choices. ASP runs on MS IIS servers, and JSP does NOT. It tends to run on Java-enabled servers like IBM WebSphere etc.

I tend to not use JSP because you can't have DSN-less connections at all, and there is a large amount of background setup you have to perform just to run JSP on a server. More time I really don't need to spend. JSP does handle connection pooling somewhat better though. Harold Blackorby
hblackorby@scoreinteractive.com
St. Louis, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back